Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
December 29th 2009
Published: February 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We got up early to do a long boat tour. Walked down to the pier and found one for 1800 Baht for 2 hours. It was interesting going through the canals, we went through Bangkok Noi and Bangkok Yai. He asked if we wanted to go to the snake farm, this is something that Corry had really wanted to do, so we said yes, only to find this was the wrong one. This was a private zoo devoted to animal cruelty and skimming money from tourists. Harry was ok to start with and quite enjoying it, but when he saw the bears he burst into tears, overcome at how sad they looked. The kids spent the rest of the trip talking about how they could free the animals, by whatever means. We went and got breakfast/lunch, the driver told us there would be food on the floating markets, but these were canoes full of souvenirs, and overpriced drinks, although one had some very average looking bananas, and they tried to get you to buy drinks for the driver, to which Isabella said "we paid him 1500 Baht, he can buy his own. I think the snake farm had tainted this one.

The walk back was distracted by the Khao San market, Isabella got her hair braided, she had been trying to find somewhere for 5 weeks, so the boys and I went back for a break. Christine had decided she really wanted some cushion covers from Jim Thompsons that we saw yesterday, and the kids wanted to go back to MBK, so we went by Ferry to the skytrain this time. Ferry was good, nice way to avoid Bangkok traffic. A few hours later and we were out of MBK, and off to Patpong Market. Christine wanted to show them as we had been here on our honeymoon, and it shows a very different side of Bangkok. The shopping here is really off putting after the places we have been, and the bartering ridiculous. Starting at 3800 Baht and getting it for 500, and things we paid 150 Baht elsewhere for 800, but they weren’t impressed when I laughed. Anyway the street was in full swing and an interesting experience none the less, but not one to do twice.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Feeding the fishFeeding the fish
Feeding the fish

The boat stops to feed the fish, this was quite good, heaps of them obviously waiting cause they know they get fed here.
Snake farmSnake farm
Snake farm

One of the better moments, when we first arrived
Sad Gibbon.Sad Gibbon.
Sad Gibbon.

This little guy really loved Isabella and craved affection


Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1082s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb