Bangkok- The Grand Palace


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
October 27th 2009
Published: October 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Arun ResidenceArun ResidenceArun Residence

Our hotel for one night in Bangkok
After arriving in Bangkok, we hot-footed over to the Grand Palace. People had to get what they were wearing checked out by officials to see if it was appropriate. No shorts, no tank tops, no major skin showing. It is a holy place after all. If what you were wearing was not appropriate, you could rent sarongs and such. We knew this ahead of time and dressed correctly. : ) We started by entering this hall that was covered with paintings and gold leaf of palaces and battles and the history of Thailand. The hall/wall runs all around the compound of the temple of the emerald buddha and the entire inside is one continuous mural that runs for about a quarter mile! After being blown away by that we stepped out of the hall and WOW! The pics don't do this place justice. We then went to the most famous building here, the temple of the emerald buddha. Sorry, can't take pics inside but you have never seen such elaborate gold work all over the place. And on top of this about 30 feet in the air was the emerald buddha himself in his gold rainy season robes. Seriously, can't describe it. Everything is painted, decorated or covered in gold. We then visited the rest of the buildings. Check the pics, pretty amazing stuff. They even had a model of Angkor Wat in Cambodia which we will see the real thing in a couple of days. After touring the grounds we saw the Thai royalty's crown jewels. Again, sorry no pics allowed. Its good to be the king! Lots and lots of very elaborately carved gold with jems. Needed a nap afterword. Whew! Off to Cambodia and Angkor Wat...


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Wat Arun @ nightWat Arun @ night
Wat Arun @ night

Temple across from our hotel room with a brightly lit dinner/party cruise ship going down the river in front of it.
Entrance @ Grand PalaceEntrance @ Grand Palace
Entrance @ Grand Palace

Grand Palace was built as the official residence for the Kings of Thailand
Temple of the Emerald BuddhaTemple of the Emerald Buddha
Temple of the Emerald Buddha

Wat Phra Kaew is the name of the temple that the Emerald Buddha resides in @ Grand Palace
Golden ChediGolden Chedi
Golden Chedi

Chedi is a buddhist monument containing holy relics and/or remains
Emerald BuddhaEmerald Buddha
Emerald Buddha

Yes, he's in the pic. Look close and you'll see him. You can't take pics inside the temple.
Government inside Grand PalaceGovernment inside Grand Palace
Government inside Grand Palace

In style of Italian Renaissance


Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb