Counting the Days!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
October 19th 2009
Published: October 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Ready to Roll!Ready to Roll!Ready to Roll!

Bruce and Sandy Anticipating Our Trip!

Gettin' Antsy



The plane tickets are purchased, the itinerary is set, the hotels booked, the clothes bought, the shots endured. It's 7 days and counting! What have I forgotten (whatever it is I'll be sure to remember it as soon as I get on the train headed for the airport)? What will go wrong (hopefully only things that will result in a fun new adventure)? I hope that I can do as promised and provide you with some interesting stories, observations, and photos of our 50th anniversary trip to Southeast Asia! We leave October 24 by NJTransit train to NYC, then Long Island Railroad to Jamaica Station and the Monorail to JFK Airport. It's amazing to me that, except for a mile-long ride to the train station, we can go from our house to Bangkok without getting into a car!

Why This Part of the World

As a little background: in 1964 and 1965 we lived on Okinawa (then an American trusteeship, now reverted to Japan). It was the beginning of the Vietnam War and Bruce was an Air Force Rescue helicopter pilot. We had lived in northern Maine for two years where we froze our bippies off;
Nakhon Phanom in 1965Nakhon Phanom in 1965Nakhon Phanom in 1965

This is the main intersection of the town with the clock tower built in tribute to Vietnamese immigrants.
so when orders came to go to Okinawa, once we found a map that located it for us (there was no Google back then) we were excited about living in such an exotic location with SUNSHINE and WARM WEATHER! Little did we know that as soon as Bruce, who preceded the rest of the family by about 3 months, landed there he was informed that he would be sent on a "temporary" assignment to a secret location, not to be divulged to his family upon penalty of death, or some such threat. The secret location, as it turns out, was Nakhon Phanom, in northeast Thailand, a sleepy little town on the Mekong River directly across from Laos and within spitting distance of the infamous Ho Chi Minh Trail, over which the North Vietnamese moved military equipment and ordinance to South Vietnam.

Bruce was a member of the 33rd Air Rescue Squadron and their mission was to rescue any US pilots unfortunate enough to go down in Laos. His family - I and the first 3 children, with the 4th in the cooker, were abandoned to fend for ourselves on Okinawa for several months until he returned. Because there was
Typical House 1965Typical House 1965Typical House 1965

This is what homes in the village looked like in 1965.
no real base yet in NKP (as it is often called), Bruce and his fellow pilots lived in a motel (of sorts) in the town. That early in the war there were very few locals who spoke English, so they made friends with the few who could, including an American Baptist missionary couple, the local airport manager, and the cute young women who taught English in the village school. Since they ended up having no rescuing to do, it was a pretty cushy assignment, what with a maid, all their meals cooked for them, and time to play badminton with the Thai military. As to the cute young women?......

Our First Visit to Thailand as a Couple

Several months after Bruce's tour was over in NKP I was fortunate enough to be able to go there and visit all the people that he had met. The missionary couple put us up in their home and the school teachers hosted a big party for us. We managed to take the local ferry across the Mekong and into the small villages on the Lao side of the river, probably only a couple of miles from the bad guys hiding in
In Nakhon Phanom 1965In Nakhon Phanom 1965In Nakhon Phanom 1965

This is us - nearly 45 years ago with the friends we made in Nakhon Phanom!
the beautiful mountains there. I even took a swim in the Mekong River - and have the photo to show for it, my white swimsuit a lovely shade of Mekong brown!

This was a long intro, but I wanted to give you some background. It was because of these ties that we decided for our 50th anniversary to travel back to that part of the world and, besides returning to NKP, visit the two countries that were pretty much off limits to us back in 1965: Laos and Cambodia. For all the intervening years Angkor Wat in Cambodia has been one of my Holy Grails, high on my bucket list of places to visit before we die. It hit me just recently, as I approach the big 7-0 (Bruce having already gone by it) that the number of good traveling years remaining could be fairly small and there is soooo much of the world that we still want to see. Instead of joining a group tour without control over our time and destinations we opted to plan our own itinerary. Then we engaged Global Basecamps of California and their Asian counterpart Buffalo Tours to put together our trip of a lifetime.

Itinerary

So here's the itinerary: Bangkok, Ayutthaya (ancient Thai capital), Chiang Mai (all in Thailand), Luang Prabang, Vientiane, Konglor Cave (all in Laos); Nakhon Phanom and other towns in the Isan area of Thailand; Pakse, 4000 Islands, and Bolaven Plateau (all back in Laos), Siem Reap (Angkor) Cambodia. Well be on the road for nearly a month and will travel by train, plain, automobile, boat, and many tuk-tuks! I have no idea how often we'll be able to get an internet connection for my nice new netbook, or how exhausted we'll be at the end of each day, but now that Ive committed to you to do this blog it will give me the incentive to post often. I plan to lace the entries with photos of our travels, so I won't even have to bore you to death with a slide show when we return.

Wish us luck! We're off into the unknown!!

Advertisement



21st October 2009

What me worry?
Since I was only a babe in arms when the first southeast Asian adventure began, I have no recollections of the event that my mom describes in this initial blog post. I am excited for them but nervous... kind of like my parents used to be when I didn't come home until two o'clock in the morning after 'hanging out with my friends'. I hope that there will be some folks in the little village who remember my folks. Now that would be blog-worthy! Have fun, mom and dad, be safe, be well, and don't drink the water. Love ya, L.
21st October 2009

Verrrrrry excited...
....it's thrilling to go along by blog. Will enjoy any and all news / photos that float back this way. How interesting to hear about earlier Asian experiences!
22nd October 2009

sounds good! sounds great!
okay - this worked fine.
22nd October 2009

sounds good! sounds great!
okay - this worked fine.
22nd October 2009

Via con Dios
via con Dios! Glad you've let me travel with you. Pictures and proposed itinerary,--- whew!. Bev
22nd October 2009

Have A Wonderful Trip
What a mix of feelings it must be along with the anticipation and excitement. Have a safe and throughly enjoyable time. Ciao Ken
22nd October 2009

We Got It -- Here We Go
Got your blog. We look forward to reading it.
22nd October 2009

Those photos from the 60s are great. It is so fascinating to see photos from the past. If you have anymore, would you post them in the following thread, if you have time. :) http://www.travelblog.org/Forum/Threads/8102-1.html
22nd October 2009

Get me to the plane on time
I admire the faith in public transport you show by taking three examples to get you to JFK. How much time are you allowing?!
22nd October 2009

Great start to your blog
Best of luck. Have a great trip. It sounds like one to be remembered. Jack
24th October 2009

nice pics!
I like the picture of you and Bruce 45 years ago. Lovely!
27th October 2009

God Speed---good luck!
Thank you for sharing in your exotic adventures! These are places I am not likely to see in my lifetime. I am very excited for you to have this opportunity. I can hear the enthusiasm in each word. I pray the two of you will be protected and that you will be surrounded with angels and allies the whole way 'round the world. I have no doubt you will continue to touch many lives, making new friends and hugging old ones. What a wonderful thing you take on! I'm sure it will be quite challenging. You two are quite inspiring! We will miss you- but, wow- how fantastic! So- God Speed you then, and good luck. Fondly- Justine
1st November 2009

Sorry
I didn't see your message until I'd left on the trip.
7th November 2009

Hope you are having fun
Just having a chance now to sit with my laptop (Alex and Mitch usually have it occupied) to check out your Blog. Very nice blog. Hope you are having fun. I'm going to read the other blog posts now.

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.025s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb