Playing tourists in our new hometown!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
August 23rd 2009
Published: August 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Here we are...Bangkok! I've dreamed it for years, plans have been to settle here for years....and finally, we made it with Leslie and Ma'ri. Why Bangkok...closer to the diving, closer to a lot more golf...and all of these, at a reasonable prices.

We will still be on the road all the time, as somehow, Bangkok will only be our resting nest. I've never been very attracted by the chinese food and the chinese way of life while we were living in Shanghai. But here it's different. I love the good manners of the Thais, their food and the general atmosphere here.

We will obviously travel around the country. Few trips are already planed. But I also know that if you want to play the tourist in your own city, the best is to do it as soon as possible....before you are too busy with your daily life. So don't worry, we will not have tens of entries about Bangkok. This is the first week-end we spent here. Next week-end, we are already out of Bangkok for few more discoveries...and one more entry.

We won't show you where we live and the way we live, this is not really travel related. But last week-end, we went to Wat Pho and to the Grand Palace on Saturday. On Sunday morning, we went to see the Golden Mount and to visit Jim Thompson house turned into a museum. Afternoon were spent discovering more what our daily life will be when we are here and not on the road.

I'm not a big fan of the area surrounding the Palace, in more than 100 visits in Thailand, I only pushed it once to Khao San Road, so it was important for me to make sure that Leslie and Ma'ri did discover this part of the city....quite far away from home! Still on the list are the zoo, and the Parliement area. For those, as they are next to each other, make sure I'll check the news first...don't want to end up at the wrong place at the wrong time. For example, the Sunday 30th August, they are awaiting 30,000 red shirts in the city...we won't see them as they will mainly around the Parliement....but this is for example a day...you simply do not want to go in some part of Bangkok. Funnily enough...to get to those places, with the traffic jams, it would take us a good one hour...

Leslie is now at school...and so far so good as we say...he was so happy to bring back the violon from school. The fact that he seems to feel great at school is a very important point for us. He has just moved from the American system to the English system, not a huge change, but still some changes we all have to adjust.

Our stuffs are still on the way...blocked somewhere by one of the last typhoon around China...so we've been camping for few days...but camping in pretty good conditions....an it will remain a fun souvenir for three of us. Not much wine or champagne to celebrate...as I'm seriously against these to be poured in plastic glasses...doesn't stop the gin tonic thought!

School is back, we are happy and the sun is there a lot more than the rain...quite nice for the rainy season!

Let us know when you are coming!

With love from three of us! Thailand, the land of smiles...we are ready!


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb