Songkran and Riots


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
April 13th 2009
Published: April 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Armed for combat!Armed for combat!Armed for combat!

Khao San Road
Songkran and Riots Monday 13th April 2009

“Anarchy reigned in parts of Bangkok this morning following the Thai military's pre-dawn raid on anti-government protesters who had blockaded parts of the city.
(The Times news report)

Where we are there is, thankfully, no evidence of rioting, only of people celebrating the New Year, Songkran. Here people are throwing water; elsewhere some are throwing petrol bombs. We shall not, however, venture far on our last day here in the city, and we shall leave early for the airport because several major road junctions are blocked so it could take a long time to get there. We are just hoping that the airport stays open, not like the last anti-government protest, when it was blockaded.

Last night’s Khao San Songkran party was manic, crazy good fun and we survived it! We didn’t stay out until the early hours, but we stayed long enough to enjoy the full-on height of the party. I hurt my back a few days ago and after several buckets of ice-cold water had been thrown at it, I was in agony and had to hobble back to base. At times the big pump water pistol battles were like warfare but we didn’t encounter any bother, despite a lot of booze being consumed, as everyone was in good spirits. It was quite a party!

Thailand has been a great place to end our travels. The highlights have been snorkelling in the Andaman Sea, the elephant rides, Ayutthaya and Chiang Mai. It has all, however, been pretty special. So, “Goodbye Bangkok” tomorrow morning we’ll be in England, where we plan to spend a few weeks before heading back home to Spain.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.313s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 87; dbt: 0.1334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb