Bangkok nights


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
January 10th 2009
Published: February 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Reclining BudhaReclining BudhaReclining Budha

Wat Poh - The Reclining Budha
Sawaadee Kap,

http://picasaweb.google.com/Niall.McClay/Bangkok

Bangkok was bangin'. After leaving Phuket and travelling all through the night on the bus we arrived into Bangkok early Sunday morning 09:00. We all jumped in a taxi and speed off for the city centre. Emma and Rick had been before so we could relax in the knowledge we shouldn't get ripped off by the taxi man. He dropped us off at the Koh San road and we bailed out and took a walk looking for a hotel. We got booked into a place called 'My House' guest house, which incidentally looked nothing like my house but I didn't question it. It was cheap as chips at five pounds a night, well in budget.
After we dropped off our bags we had a big breakfast around the corner and took time to chill out knowing we were sorted for a few days. Emma and Rick were heading to Singapore the next day so we were all a bit sad at having to say goodbye but we will see them again no doubt on our travels.
Next day in Bangkok, Lorraine and I were on our own again, this was sad but a chance to get back into adventurer mode. This in mind we took off for a walk through BKK. It wasn't long before we were stopped by a kind fellow who took our map and circled all the good places we could go. In fact he told us we could get a Tuk Tuk for the whole day for ten baht (20p) around all such attractions. We couldn't believe our luck!! Even more amazingly he said he would help us look for the cheap 'government tuk-tuks' that provide this cheap service and one appeared almost instantly. We got in, not before thanking our new friend and set off. First we went to a travel agency for our visa requirements we had told him about, we were ushered into a private room to a gentleman with perfect English. He said it would be 6000BHT each for the visas we needed!!! Startng to realise we were being scammed and potentially being taken around BKK to all the most expensive shops/ silk factories and the like, we insisted our driver take us to the local canal boat service and leave us there. He kept saying about all the other places we had yet to go, but - no thank you sir. This was the point where we realised you had to be suspicious of all the kind people offering assistance - who happened to pop up frequently. 'Hello - Where you from? - Ireland? - Ahh, Robbie Keane - Where you go?'
You couldn't watch them, hi.
Later that night we bought ourselves some temporary wedding rings as we had left ours at home in case we lost them on this trip. We got almost identical rings to the ones we had for the wedding but this time it came to a total of twelve pounds!! Much less than the originals by quite a few shillings. Lorraine and I were both well pleased as it felt as if we weren't properly married walking about with out rings on. It was like being married all over and this was our honeymoon, which it kinda was. Happy days.
After becoming scam proof we ventured to China Town which was rammed with people but full of anything you would want to buy at varying prices and then up to Wat Poh for a look at the reclining Budha. This was a massive Budha about 43m long and gold plated. They like to spend money on these things. It brings you good luck apparently!! Brings them cash as well when it's the tourists turn to cough up. Not that I'm tight or anything, I just not depending on Budha to sort me out for re-incarnation, but there you go.
We managed to catch up with an old collegue of mine from Tesco who is living in Thailand (Andy) and his girlfriend (Gay). They had got a two hour bus ride up to meet us so that was really good of them to make the effort. We walked through the Koh San road past all the vendors of which there are many - usually selling the same stuff and headed down the main river on the public boat. A cool way to view the city. Afterwards we came back up river and Gay got us some wicked food from the local stalls as she knows what everything is. It was hot!!! But I soldiered on especially as she says mines was a not so hot one. Man stuff.
On our last day we headed for a local park for a walk. Nice as it was I thought I would lie down on a bench - such was the heat. Of course cue the soldier coming over to shout at me - 'No sleeping'. I got up. I was going to him I wasn't sleeping but his bayonet suggested I be quiet.
Bangkok rules.

Next time - Cambodia.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb