Back in Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
January 2nd 2009
Published: January 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We spent a quiet new year in Pataya(we really did!), in that we checked into our hotel on new years eve, had a bit of a wander around, something to eat, fell asleep and woke up at 11:55pm to wish each other happy new year and watch some great fireworks at the hotel. Other than that I have little to say about Pataya - not the place for me and Pete really and we were unable to catch up with friends we met in india so were a bit disappointed.

I have to say though that as we wandered around on new years day and found ourselves at the sales! (Some things are the same the world over) I have never seen Pete throw himself into the shopping experience so seriously...he was like a man possessed dashing around the shops (despite his still dodgy foot)!!! He even tried stuff on which is a first for him. As we left (several hours later) Pete had a huge grin on his face as he considered what he could now throw away and admired his new wardrobe...

We left Pataya by bus on 2 Jan and headed back to Bangkok. We had
Bumping into family!Bumping into family!Bumping into family!

Pete with Sarah and Mark
already decided we would have a big night out on Khao san road because of our quiet new year so headed out for 'buckets' of samsung and coke!! Not very responsible I know but it had to be done I'm told. As we wandered (staggered) back in the direction of the hotel we bumped into Sarah and Mark (relatives of Pete) who had been in the South islands....It was quite bizarre to walk passed a bar and recognise someone from back home. Needless to say we had a few drinks with them and a good chat. The small bar we were in had a good atmosphere until something kicked off between one of the Thai regulars and a tourist...I think the Thai guy decided to leave it after he hit the tourist with a chair which just bounced off him without a flinch. The other eye opening event of the evening was a guy who was celebrating his birthday and had bought breast implants for his Thai wife and was so impressed that they were only 40,000 baht that he kept encouraging her to show them to everyone!

I paid the price on 4 jan when I woke up with what Pete and I have affectionately termed a 'Bangover' - managed to post a parcel home but did little else all day.

Bye Bangkok.............



Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0619s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb