Back to Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
June 14th 2008
Published: June 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Khao San Road to the WestKhao San Road to the WestKhao San Road to the West

The infamous backpacker road with gringos abound. It's usually packed, but this pic shows hardly anyone around, which is quite uncommon. Think Telegraph St. x1000.
Back to the chaos of Bangkok, but this time knowing more what to expect, and finding it much more enjoyable. We arrived at six in the morning on the overnight bus from Surat Thani. After quite a bit of searching around and a stop for breakfast, we found a small guesthouse across a canal from the crazy Khao San Road. We have mostly been reading, checking internet and eating, taking in the city around us. We decided to check out the weekend market, Chatuchak Market, which didn't disappoint. We didn't explore every corner, as it was huge, and everything from furniture to clothing to snakes and puppies was available to buy. We had some chicken and noodle soup and thai ice tea from a food stand--delicious.
Once it started raining, we headed up to the sky train and decided to watch The Incredible Hulk at Siam Square's shopping center, MBK. Very nice theatre with assigned seats that you pick when you buy your ticket. Before the movie started, we were suddenly standing up, taking cue from the rest of the audience as the national anthem played along with a photo montage of the king and the coutryside. Afterwards, we both thought how everyone here seemingly enjoys honoring the king, but imagine if we had to stand and honor George W. before every event...
We have been reading up a storm, particularly enjoying The Golden Compass, and Mike is now working on The Subtle Knife after searching out a copy. I have also read and enjoyed The Known World, Farewell Waltz, and am working on Snow Falling on Cedars.
We will probably stay here in Bangkok for about a week, and then head to Cambodia to check out Angkor Wat.
BB


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Our friend HayleyOur friend Hayley
Our friend Hayley

We met Hayley through our friend Josh...who had met her a year ago in Bangkok. Hayley was a great source of info as she has been travelling and living in Thailand for some time now. And this pic was actually taken on our 2nd day here.


22nd June 2008

Just got here!
I know, I need to check my email more frequently. The blog is so great!! You look like you're having a really interesting trip.... much love! Melissa
22nd June 2008

my daemon says thanks...
just wanted to say thanks to you and your sis, regarding your recommendation to read "his dark materials" trilogy...i absolutely love it, brooke got hooked to it too...we are currently on book three. hope all is well...take care. mike

Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0209s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb