Thailand - special, special more cheaper price please...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
April 26th 2005
Published: December 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Grand PalaceGrand PalaceGrand Palace

Home of the revered Emerald Buddha and Bangkok's most famous attraction.
Our intention after crossing into Thailand was to head up to the island of Ko Samui. We had flagged down a Songathaew to get us to the bus station, and although the guy went via one of his “friend's” travel agencies where they tried to sell us some massively overpriced tickets, we got to the station in the end and the tickets we bought apparently included the ferry across to the island as well which was a result!

Ko Samui was, unfortunately, not as beautiful as the Perhentians and the village was set up for tourists like a mini Tenerife. We did have a great time there though, as we went "big game fishing" - or simply fishing as its known in the rest of the world! Having never been fishing before, I was quite pleased to catch three fish - one Yellow Snapper which was massive and looks even bigger in the photo as I held it towards the camera! (Note, artistic license may have been used regarding the word massive).
 
On Ko Samui we hired a jeep for a full day for less than a tenner, and I was behind the wheel again - the boys believing
"Big Game" Fishing"Big Game" Fishing"Big Game" Fishing

My prized catch of a Yellow Snapper
my claim that I was a dab hand after my experience gleaned on Fraser Island! A great day of sightseeing and general thuggery behind the wheel followed, but luckily the car didn't break no matter how many racing starts we attempted on the dusty off road tracks! During the same day we also we got to witness a monkey riding on the back of a motorbike and I indulged in some Thai style driving by driving up the wrong side of the road after we had missed our turning - I didn't forget to use my indicators though!
 
Our last stop before Bangkok was on Koh Phan Ngan, home of the famous full moon parties. The lunar calendar wasn't with us, so we briefly visited Sunrise beach, where the parties are held, and then went to Bottle beach which was another secluded cove that could only be reached by boat.

In Bangkok, by some miracle/mishap of planning we arrived on the first day of the Songkran festival which is the equivalent of New Year here in SE Asia. Traditionally this is celebrated with the people being blessed by the Buddhist monks who sprinkle (note the use of the
Our off-road hog!Our off-road hog!Our off-road hog!

The trusty 4x4 that saw us explore the island in style.
word sprinkle there) them with water. The modern day festival involves seemingly everyone in Bangkok taking to the streets in and around Khao San Road (where we were staying) armed to the teeth with water pistols, clay and buckets of yellow water which is lobbed over anyone and everyone (western tourists a particular favourite).  
 
Usually, buying a bottle of ice-cold water from a vendor in Bangkok s a bit of a problem, and the best you can hope for is a shade cooler than lukewarm. But give the locals the opportunity to throw it over people's heads and suddenly everyone seems to have access to a bountiful supply of near freezing H20. We got very much into the swing of the festival, but it was especially not funny when we were travelling in a open sided tuk-tuk and I copped a bucket of it full in the face!!!!  Overall, the festival was a great crack and really added a lot to our time in the capital.

Elsewhere in Bangkok we were also able to see some beautiful temples, including the Grand Palace which houses both the king of Thailand and the revered Emerald Buddha, and Wat Pho which is an enormous reclining Buddha covered in gold.
 
Bangkok brought the curtain down on Steve and Chris' time in South East Asia, and they had to wing their way home, accompanied by six suits that were coaxed out of us by the smoothest salesman in Bangkok. But he did give us "super, super, more cheaper price" so I'm sure we didn't get our pants pulled down!

I was therefore alone for the first time in a month and I was wandering down the Khao San Road to buy some noodles, and by crazy coincidence I bumped into Becca and Pato from university - as you do!!  We spent the next couple of nights catching up, and on one night we visited the go-go bars Bangkok is famous for. It was pretty depressing really, as the clientèle consists almost exclusively of sweaty, middle aged European men sizing up which girl they may want to procure for the night.
 
Soon after I had to say my goodbyes to Becca and Pato as I headed north to Chang Mai for 3 days of Hill Tribe Trekking. This involved walking, elephant riding and bamboo rafting with overnight stops at two different villages up in the mountains. It was great as we
Songkran FestivalSongkran FestivalSongkran Festival

The view from our hotel room of the New Year celebrations in the street below.
got to see how people lived at a near subsistence level, all the meat they ate came from the livestock that ran around seemingly everywhere, and they grow all their own crops. The international language of football also came into play, as we played the beautiful game not very beautifully on a pitch that was so bumpy a first touch of less than a metre was delicate!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Songkran soaking!Songkran soaking!
Songkran soaking!

The three of us covered in clay and water after a day out and about in Bangkok.
Khao San RoadKhao San Road
Khao San Road

Bumping into Becca and Pato on Bangkok's main strip.
The "Beautiful" gameThe "Beautiful" game
The "Beautiful" game

Playing football with the local kids when I when hill-tribe trekking in the North of the country.
Elephant TrekElephant Trek
Elephant Trek

Travelling in style as part of our hill-tribe experience.
Bamboo Rafting Bamboo Rafting
Bamboo Rafting

Attempting not to crash our raft when I was made captain!!


Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb