RTW trip part 5


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
May 16th 2001
Published: December 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Leslie and friends at the CH-1 cafe on Khao San RoadLeslie and friends at the CH-1 cafe on Khao San RoadLeslie and friends at the CH-1 cafe on Khao San Road

Friendly and fun, they embody the very spirit of Thailand itself.
Bangkok - We arrived at midnight but the streets are lively until at least 5am. This is good city life unspoiled by a half-assed, slipshod attitude or by people who insist on being asleep by 9pm and up at 5am.


I woke up to a whole new Khao San Road! Was my guesthouse moved in the night? The late-night food vendors and street-side cafe tables were replaced by racks of clothes and tables of souvenirs. Wow, we could spend days trying to eat our way around town, tackling Thai soups, noodles, seafood and even RAW shrimp with chili sauce - mmm!


Mike observed that the girl who works at the Hello restaurant resembles my cat, so we named her Dixie without her knowing. The locals are good-humored and good-natured. They're playful with each other and polite toward everyone. Rickshaw driver: indicates his ride with an open hand. Mike: indicates our hotel sign with pointed finger. Driver: indicates disappointment with a "shucks" expression. Classic! This laid-back culture sure is appreciated, especially after being in India.


30 May

There are so many beautiful spots in the world that I want to remind myself to return to sometime. Two little slices of heaven are the Jolly Frog guesthouse in Kanchanaburi and the Libra guesthouse in Chiang Mai. So shanty... tomorrow, a 3-day jungle trek - my idea! Who the hell have I become?


**In Kanchanaburi, we met up again with Keith from Goa, India!**


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

 Tuk-tuks on Khao San Road Tuk-tuks on Khao San Road
Tuk-tuks on Khao San Road

For a few baht, these dangerous contraptions will take you anywhere you want to go and even several places you don't.
Our friends at the No Name Bar in KanchanaburiOur friends at the No Name Bar in Kanchanaburi
Our friends at the No Name Bar in Kanchanaburi

The bar owners, Tony and Sean, opened this English-Thai pub where they show "The Bridge Over the River Kwai" nightly!


Tot: 0.212s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.07s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb