Jurassic Park


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
September 9th 2007
Published: September 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Here be dragons



Kate
Last weekend we went into Bangkok to stay in a different part of the city, Silom. This area is home of the Suan Luang night market, where Mark and Helen had been on their stay here but where we had never visited. There are about 3000 stalls selling all kinds of Thai crafts and stuff, and bars and restaurants. It's also by the puppet theatre and the Muay Thai boxing stadium. Its not really like being in Bangkok at all.

Silom is also right by Lumpini Park. The park looks like a typical city park you get anywhere. Grass and trees surrounded by skyscrapers. A bandstand. Big lakes with swan boats. We had a Sunday stroll around the park in the sunshine. Which was nice. Then we stopped and had a sit down on a bench overlooking the lake to watch the people enjoying the swan boats. Then we saw the water move. "Ah, look, a duck" we thought. But it was a rather funny looking duck, so we looked abit closer. No, it wasn't a duck, it was a monitor lizard, swimming through the river. And then as we walked around looking at the lake abit closer we realised that it was full of monitor lizards. Like some sort of David Attenborough film, they were coming out of the water and up the bank. We even got a great video of one catching and eating a fish. It was about 5 ft long. These things were huge!

No ducks though. I expect the lizards ate them all.


I'm putting the video on facebook if you want to see it....



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Swan boats in the parkSwan boats in the park
Swan boats in the park

just like Boston?
Monitor lizard swimming in the lakeMonitor lizard swimming in the lake
Monitor lizard swimming in the lake

looking nothing like a duck.


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb