Two nights in Bangkok (too many...)


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
August 22nd 2007
Published: August 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Where do I start with Bangkok? It's as far away from the sleepy tranquility of Luang Prabang (with it's midnight curfews) than I can imagine. The first night we arrived it was about 6pm and Khao San Road was already bustling with people selling, buying, drinking and just generally giving me a headache.

We found somewhere to stay (200 baht = bargain!) and then went out and got some food and drank some much-needed coffee. There'd been free alcohol on the plane (thank you Bangkok Airways!) so we were reluctant to start drinking again so soon. It's crazy how many people there are trying to convince you to drink their 'extra strong cocktails' and go into their cheapo club (have just heard about an incident in a club there? We're fine - stuck to pubs in the end) and take their taxi/tuk tuk to Ping Pong (I think that's the red light district area? We didn't want to pay to go anywhere on that night anyway).

The next day we wandered around trying to find fake designer goodness (markets in Bangkok are impossible to find. Decent ones of this sort anyway - think we're going to try our luck at a night market when we get back) went to the post office and explored aimlessly. There's not loads to see there - and it's hard to get anywhere with gridlocked traffic and everyone ignoring the road rules (I've been assured that there are some!)

The next day we saw the Giant Swing, which is pictured on this blog. It was nice to see, couldn't get near it with the manic traffic in front though. We also went to Jim Thompson's house - I hadn't heard of him before either, but he was an American who came to Thailand during world war 2 and ended up staying here because he liked the culture so much. He started a business importing beautiful Thai silks. His house was really nice - loads of different Thai style houses all put in the same landspace with a jungle-type garden in the middle. The house was really nicely and tastefully decorated with Asian artifacts. Jim dissapeared shortly after his 61st birthday in the Cameron Highlands in Malaysia and hasn't been seen since.

I should mention out trekking group at some point during this blog entry. We all met up on our second night in Bangkok at the guesthouse, and ended up going out for a meal and a drink afterwards. Everyone's really nice - we got to talk properly last night on the sleeper train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. There's about 9 people in the group, with 2 more joining today. Our trek leader is a man called Chai who's from one of the hill tribes and seems really easygoing and helpful. The night train here was fine - it was air conditioned, and the seats roll out into bunk beds at night. I slept better than I usually do - which is good because we'll be doing it 3 more times (back to Bangkok, then to Southern Thailand and then back to Bangkok again)

Sorry if this isn't making much sense, but I'm tired from the early wake up (before 6am there was a man walking up and down the train selling orange juice) and Bangkok confused the hell out of me anyway. My advice is avoid!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



24th August 2007

Tranquility gone?
Bangkok seems a bit of a nightmare after the lovely Luang Prabang - at least you are getting a cultural variety on your trip, tho'! Can't believe you'll both be home in about 3 weeks! Take care, Loads of love, Mum XXX
27th August 2007

Short note from Nana
Hi Vicky! So glad you are enjoying yourselves. Julie and I had a few days in London and saw a couple of shows. We are at your house now; Finley loves your garden and the cats. Can't wait to see you again. Enjoy the rest of your trip! Love Nana XXXXX

Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0836s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb