I'm never flying economy again!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
March 3rd 2007
Published: March 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

What a way to start a holiday!
After a horror red-eye flight on Virgin Blue that was delayed 1.5 hours and followed by an 8 hour stint in Sydney Airport we were stoked to find that there were only 2 seats left in business class - and we got the upgrades! It was unreal - all you can drink spirits, a divine 3 course meal (starting with poached salmon and avocado, then lamb fillet on mash, then strawberry panacotta mmmm), a perfectly flat bed and a seat by the window meant we arrived particularly refreshed after the 8 hour flight. The new Bangkok airport is unreal, and I can see why the now call it the worlds best airport! The whole thing was designed in mirrors and concrete and was scarily futuristic, very cool : )
Anyway - we got into our transfer van and the contrasts between old and new were immediatley visible - with not much inbetween! Our seatbelt-less van sped down the mega freeway at what felt like 150k's an hour, overtaking mud-covered pick up trucks alongside brand new honda's and toyotas, and the freeway went straight over (it was on stilts) the slums of outer Bangkok. OUr hotel was awesome, right by the river near Kao San Road, which is the shopping mecca of the city. The first thing we noticed as we stepped out on our 6th floor balcony though was the smell! Not pleasant, I'd say it has something to do with the dirty still river and the countless dilapidated buildings which have mould and vines hanging all over them, but still seem to be habitated by the poorer people of the city and their many animals...
We woke to a cold shower and a free breakfast (its the high 30's here so the cold didn't phase us!) consisting of spicy green curry and strangely sweet scramble eggs, then headed out for a stroll along the river to Kao San road. It's amzing how anyone makes a living here, all waklways are single file and surrounded by market stalls coverec in odd fashions and strange looking foods, and did I mention the cheap rip-offs! Love it! So far have splurged on some dolce + gabana and armani sunnies valued at 3 bucks each, but Em talked me out of the hot Dior purse, coming in at the equivalent of $9 we knew we could get cheaper! Time to put in orders for cheap handbags/sunnies/shoes everyone, I only packed 9 kilos which means 14 left for shopping! i think packing the minimum basics for the trip is going to be worth it... uh oh ; )
Anyway we are dying for lunch and i can smell curry... mmm ... think an addiction is brewing already! Prob won't be able to get internet till we hit chiang mai in about 8 days time - catch you then!
Love Jess



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



3rd March 2007

Just you wait Jesse!
Just you wait until you get home Jessica Louise! Fancy taking off overseas without saying goodbye to your family! Hmmphh! But anyway, glad to hear you have been ahving a good time! Love from Dad and Susy!
3rd March 2007

shopping order
Yeah tiger, how about a copy of Nero 7.7.5.1 if you can get it. This is the full blown verison. Should cost about 3 bucks! Thanks, Love Dad.
9th March 2007

Oh...la...laa!!!
Hey Jess, i recon business class was made for you babe!!! Glad to hear you are having a great time. Cheers, Mariana

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb