The Hub


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
January 10th 2007
Published: January 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Wat ArunWat ArunWat Arun

The temple of the dawn (at sunset)
All in all we dropped in on Thailand's colourful capital 4 time, hence the title "The Hub". Despite it being a transport hub, it hasn't proven a simple affair utilising it. A new airport opened (Suvarnabhumi) 3 months ago replacing Don Muang airport - it's pretty swish but a long way out of town and not everyone is aware of the switch (yes, we went to the wrong one!). Getting around within town is also tricky. The Subway and SkyTrain don't service the touristy areas and the roads are "total gridlock" most of the time. Apparently it's improved in recent years - the city must have quite literally have been at a standstill previously, if that's the case. It seemed to us that the most efficient way to navigate the city is on the Chao Phraya river which has a good public boat service.

So to the city, well we did stay on the Khao San road whose reputation is infamous. To be honest we thought the area was perfectly alright - it didn't appear seedy, the "go-go clubs" weren't obvious and it was pretty clean - maybe we went to the wrong place! It's very much an Israeli stronghold with these interesting characters almost outnumbering even the locals. The recent bombs in the area and the increased police and military presence may remind them a little too much of home though, something they're trying to get a break from!

We also stayed in the ultra-modern Siam Square area with its huge shopping malls that delight the tourists looking for bargains. The nearby Lumphini Park is one of the nicer green spaces in the urban jungle with the added spectacle of outdoor aerobics classes taking place in the morning.

Bangkok's religious and royal architecture is beautiful. Very gold-laden and extremely ornate, it's hard not to be impressed. We did the "temple tour" visiting most of the big or famous ones, as you can see from the photos. We didn't see them all though and we missed out on the museums too (opening hours didn't work in our favour). Bangkok is a massive city and it's difficult to explore it all in a short time. Inevitably we'll be back again - being the hub it is, it's difficult not to come here if you're heading to S.E. Asia or beyond.


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Changing Of The GuardChanging Of The Guard
Changing Of The Guard

...at the Royal Palace
So BigSo Big
So Big

Unfortunately Laura just misses out on kids prices for the Subway
Inside Hualampong Train StationInside Hualampong Train Station
Inside Hualampong Train Station

As it's the King's 80th birthday this coming year and 2006 was the 60th year of his reign - the people wear yellow in honour of their ruler.
King Vajiravudh (Rama VI) StatueKing Vajiravudh (Rama VI) Statue
King Vajiravudh (Rama VI) Statue

He was the king during World War I - educated at Oxford and a bit of a thesp
Pondering Over The Next MovePondering Over The Next Move
Pondering Over The Next Move

Draughts/Checkers played in Lumphini Park
Big YawnBig Yawn
Big Yawn

A Monitor Lizard in Lumphini Park
The Grand PalaceThe Grand Palace
The Grand Palace

The King doesn't actually live here anymore - bit of a waste - time for squatting me thinks.


Tot: 0.283s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 36; qc: 166; dbt: 0.1838s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb