Bangkok and homewards


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
March 15th 2018
Published: March 15th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 11 March 2018

Weather back to sunshine after a cooler couple of days. Slept well.

Our original plans changed due to technical difficulties! Thai tummy.

Pat did some packing in the morning and we left the room at 1.30 pm for a stroll. We walked along the road for a while then back to Sena Fast for a Starbucks visit. Picked up some supplies in the supermarket and back to the room for 2.45 pm.

Pat did some more packing in the afternoon and had said that she wanted a drink by the river on her last night. So in the evening we headed to the Asiatique mall to try and accomplish this and left the room at 6.30 pm.

We both spoke to our Mothers in the afternoon as it is Mothers day back home.

We walked to the ferry crossing and then for another experience we took a tuk tuk to the Asiatique from Saphan Taksin; 200 baht.

The mall was very busy and we found a restaurant and Pat had her drink by the river. An enjoyable meal. A pizza and a steak.

After that we headed back on the free shuttle boat.

Back in the room 9 pm.

Monday 12 March 2018

First stage of the going home journey, today.

Slept well, weather hot and sunny.

Check out was 12.00 pm. So we had a slow start and made final preparations to leave.

We decided not to do anything else, but simply head to the airport in a leisurely fashion.

Left the room at 11.40 am and checked out at reception with no problem. We left our bags and took a short walk to Bangkok cafe for some breakfast.

Back to the hotel picked up the bags and asked for a taxi to the BTS station Krong Thon Buri.

This station was the one we recce'd the other day and we were using it because it had better access with suitcases.

Taxi didn't take long and dropped us by the elevators, fare 80 baht. Up to the station easily and then onwards.

Change at Siam then head to Phaya Thai. We left the BTS service here, so handed our cards in and had a remainder of 86 baht each, which they refunded, as promised.

Next over to the airport train service, cost of 45 baht each for the single journey. Arrived at the airport at 1.30 pm. Our flight is at 19.30 hrs so we are well early.

We couldn't find any Qatar desks open, so Pat went off and managed to find The Miracle VIP lounge and for 500 baht each, you get two hours, sandwiches drinks and free wifi. Brilliant, nice and quiet.

At 4.30 pm we went to the desks and the queues snaked all over the place. We eventually checked in and Pat managed to get us on the upper deck for both legs.

Next through immigration and security and on to our Gate. The plane loaded and took off on time, more or less.

Our seats were two on our own and I have to say the plane is much better than Emirates.

What can I say about a eight hour flight. The time went by and we arrived in Doha.

The plane to London was not as busy, with a few empty seats. Nice plane. We both slept a little and we arrived in LHR4, nearly on time.

The computer at Immigration didn't like me again and I had to go to a human. Pat went straight through, again.

Our luggage was around by the time I got there. Through Customs and out about 6.45 am.

We had a coffee at Costa as we had plenty of time. We were booked on the 9.25 am National Express coach to Stansted. But, I looked up the website and there was an earlier one at 08.40 am, so we went down and thought that we might try to get on that as they are not usually fully booked. As it happens we found a ticket office and they were happy to change the booking.

The coach was on time and we loaded up and departed. Another uneventful journey.

We arrived at Stansted 10 am ish. Pat remembered an M&S in the airport so we went in to the terminal and loaded up on food supplies. Then to the hotel shuttle bus and there was one waiting for us. £3 each and a short journey to Premier Inn. We had a booking for tonight, but were looking for an early check in if possible.

They said yes, (at no additional cost) and off to the room. We nested a little and then bathed, which was necessary for both if us!

I slept for three hours in the afternoon and the rest of the day was quiet recovery time.

Wednesday 14 March 2018

Woke up just before the alarm at 6.15 am. Frost on the cars outside. Haven't seen that in a while.

We got ready and left the room just before 7 am. Got the bus from the Holiday Inn next door as I had the wrong times from my research!

Again £3 each and to the airport in no time.

Up to the Ryanair Self bag drop as we had checked in on line. Pat is all very familiar with this fortunately.

Then through security, with shoes off and full body scan, it's the most stringent I've done this year and this is my ninth flight already,

Got through, Pat was even more thoroughly checked out. Then to the departure lounge awaiting gate info. Bumped into some friends also returning to Cyprus.

Gate info. came up and off we went. Plane loading was pretty straight forward. Pat and I at different ends of the aircraft, due to random seat allocation.

Sat next to a British guy and we chatted for the whole four hours, so that helped the journey. Arrived on time...dat de dat dat dat etc. (Ryanair jingle!)

Our neighbour was there to pick us up and that was us on our way home. Nearly two months away and as always it's good to be home.

Watched The man with the golden gun in the evening - see earlier blog!











Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0655s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb