Day 56 - 59: Ayuthaya & Sukothai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ayutthaya
July 14th 2012
Published: July 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

A couple of hours north on a bus lead us to Ayutthaya to do some serious sightseeing. We stayed in luxury accommodation (5 pounds a night) and splashed out on some air-con. Oh yes. Unfortunately the air-con dehydrated us so half of the group ended turning it off anyway. But we did have a fridge. Which Dave froze some orange juice in.

On the first night we had an early one and got up bright and early –ish the next day to rent some bicycles to explore the historical delights of the old capital. Ayutthaya was founded in around 1350 and became the second capital of Siam after Sukothai. Consequently the city plays host to an abundance of interesting historical ruins, which makes up only a fraction of what once existed here.

We visited as many temples (plus a huge reclining Buddha) as we could and finished our day at a night market where we ate some delightful sushi and some Thai curry by the riverside.

I think the best way to describe the amazing temple remains is to upload some pictures for your enjoyment.

Another six hours bought us to Sukhothai, which translates as ‘Dawn of Happiness’. We again rented bicycles to visit the city’s ancient ruins. Slightly more taxing to get to than those in Ayutthaya, but worth every effort, the Wat (temple) ruins here were more secluded. Practically void of tourists, surrounded by windy rooted trees and at the top of steep, jagged, uphill stone pathways, these remains gave an eerie and mystical sense of what once existed here.

We got a coke from a hut in the middle of nowhere and all decided that this was one of our favourite days.

Next stop could be Mae Sot! But will the team risk getting malaria to see a life-changing waterfall! Find out soon……


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



25th July 2012
Ayutthaya ruins

Ayutthaya ruins
Loving all of your pics.
25th July 2012
The view from a temple

View from a Temple
What a beautiful place. Never seen so many Buddhas together in one place. Wish I was there!

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb