The Temple Ruins of Ayuthaya


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ayutthaya
July 1st 2012
Published: July 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Ayuthaya is not as busy as Bangkok, even though Ayuthaya was once a capital to Siam. I expected a more lively and vibrant city during the day as well in the nights, bustling traffics and neon lights everywhere, full of activities, people everywhere but none all I could enjoy to see. Of course, much of these came with disappointments in my great expectations. But it was peaceful, the people are friendly and a good place for a mild relaxation. Places filled with people are mostly at the temples. Do the Thais go to the temples every day? I believe they do. They respected the Buddha as much as they respected their most loved King in their country, King Bhumibo or was it the other way round....hehehehe...its the same.

Having breakfast from the hotel restaurant, overlooking the Pasak River, I saw big barges cruising down the river, small boats transferring people across for a few baht. We walked to the wet market, along the way we saw cafeterias with American breakfast, American coffee, Internet Cafes......across the market stood a very old railway station, tut-tuts parking along side of the road awaiting for new arrivals. Pleasant place.

I was lucky on this trip. Mr. Chat (from Bangkok) arranged his friend to take me around in his truck. It was fun. Lots of stuff in his car (cans of chemicals, oil and car and machine accessories, Japanese cartoon songs came from his car speakers), he played truant that day just to chauffer us around to see the wonderful sights of Ayuthaya, mostly the temple ruins of Ayuthaya, destroyed by the Burmese armies in the early years of conflicts between two countries. They stole much gold, jewels and treasures, priceless statues and even chopped off many Buddha's head, a battlefield of death, pain and sorrow, leaving a scar forever remembered.

We went to Wat Panan Choeng, as usual, everything warm and gold, beautiful sitting posture Buddha with four pillars guarded each corner, medium size Buddhas that surround the main Buddha with ornaments, fruits and beautiful flower garlands. Located at the confluence of two rivers, Pasak and Chao Phraya. Build in 1324 AD.

Wat Yai Chai Mongkol, an ancient stupa temple. We climbed up to the temple and it was a tiring one on a hot sunny day that day, overlooking landscape of beautiful garden that carpeted this grounds of this temple was certainly worthwhile climbing for. It was built in 1357AD by King U-Thong.

Wat Maheyong was built in the 1424-1448AD by King Borom Ratchathirat. It was in total ruin, leaving behind two bell shape Chedi (Stupa), pillars and beheaded statues of the Buddhas.

Wat Tumnak Kummalean is also known as Wat Kudi Dao. It was restored in 1711. It was built a European design with two stories and many windows. The Chedis are in almost ruining, collapsing bit by bit, scattered all over the grounds.

Wat Thammikarat built by King U-Thong in 1531. When I was there, the devotees were preparing for the coming festival. The pillars and walls were covered with saffron color clothes, banners of Thailand’s flags together with prayer flags were hung everywhere. Unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to watch this festival

Wat Logayasuta, a very old reclining Buddha, also known as Wat Buddhaasaiyart (Buddha facing to the east) located by the roadside and an uncovered statue (no building structure) with some temple ruins on the inner side of the grounds, a tilted temple tower can also be witnessed from the reclining Buddha. The Reclining Buddha is 37 meters in length and 8 meters in height.

Wat Puthaisawan, a white Khmer like tower structure stood beautifully in its own way, something quite different from the norm. In the main shrine there are three main Buddha statues in the main prayer hall. This Wat Puthaisawan is surrounded by three sides of houses of Buddha statues. This place is surprising clean and well maintain despite being quite old in history. Please remember to put your shoes or slippers by the sides of the stairs or entrance or else it will be kicked elsewhere by the caretakers. Meaning, park your shoes/slippers mindfully.

I like most is the Wat Mahathat (Temple of the Great Relics), the most notable temple ruins in Ayuthaya. Visited by many travelers, most photos taken especially the Buddha’s head being placed many hundred years ago embedded in the tree trunk and it fitted very well creating an artistic masterpiece. Build in the 14 century. A temple built for the Abbots and the monks.

Wat Phra Sri Sanphet was built by King Trailok in 1448 AD. It was built as a monastic area, also built three Chedis for the remains of the three kings before King Boromratnothangkhun and in 1499 the Viharn was built (the main prayer hall). The Wat was used for various royal ceremonies and rituals. The Wat is not built for the monks. When the Burmese attacked Ayuthaya in 1767, the gold that covered the Buddha image and other decorations was stripped away and taken by the invaders.

Wat Phra Sri Sanphet was my last itinerary for the day. It was after 5.00pm. I could see the dark clouds were brewing in quickly, hoping the rain will not come too soon to spoil my last temple ruin visit. The dark clouds did well for me, because I took some beautiful photos of these ruins against the dark clouds as backdrop. I saw a big group of students from Bangkok visiting the same place as I do. They were everywhere. They were very chatty and school girls giggling over small jokes. Teachers chasing and calling them to get ready to hop onto the bus, but I was quick to call them to take a goodbye shot before they go home. I told them to jump high. They were happy to pose and I was happy to have a good photograph added to my collection
Ayutthaya 2Ayutthaya 2Ayutthaya 2

smaller barge
at the end of the day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 57, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Ayutthaya 3Ayutthaya 3
Ayutthaya 3

Flower Vendor at the market
Ayutthaya 4Ayutthaya 4
Ayutthaya 4

getting ready for the market
Ayutthaya 5Ayutthaya 5
Ayutthaya 5

tut-tuts at the railway station
Ayutthaya 6Ayutthaya 6
Ayutthaya 6

public boat transport


Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0867s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb