Reality Sets in...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ayutthaya
June 19th 2006
Published: June 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After a wonderful first day of touring the city, reality set in on Monday morning when we met for our first class in Bangkok. Fortunately for us we really did cover a lot of ground during our two pre-trip classes in Chicago, so much of the three hour session was spent reviewing the covered material and only a little on new topics that will be on the midterm. Surprisingly the 3 hour session went by quite fast, although I imagine a lot of that had to do with the fact we had another afternoon of touring to look forward to do!

After class finished up at noon we hopped back on the bus and headed north west to see the ruins of the ancient capital city of Ayuthaya. On the way we stopped at a very nice Thai buffet restaurant (as it was attached to U-Thong Hotel it was clearly geared torwards tourists), but for 160 Bhat ($4) it was a great opportunity to sample many wonderful new dishes.

Unfortunately when we left the restaurant our beautiful day had turned to rain again (but I guess that's what we get for visiting during the "Rainy Season"), so we drove
Restored Wat at AyuthayaRestored Wat at AyuthayaRestored Wat at Ayuthaya

This Wat contains a very large gold Buddha and was rebuilt from the ruins in the mid 1990's.
around the area and Siddi gave us some background behind Ayuthaya. From your own brief Thai history lesson this was the third capital of Thailand, and lasted from the mid 13th century until the late 1700's. Unfortunately in 1767 the Thais were forced to leave Ayuthaya after loosing a war with Burma, and the Burmeese King ordered to have the capital city burned to the ground (hence the ruins). However, what remains still gives you an idea of the amazing Wats and buildings that once stood here. While hiking around the ruins it's amazing to see how many temples once stood on the grounds. Many of the stone Buddha statues still remain and as you can see from the fresh flowers, candles and ordaments they all are still prayed to by visiting Thai people. I continue to be amazed and how devout the Buddhist people are and have very much enjoyed learning more about this wonderful ancient religon.

On the grounds of the ruins there is a beautiful Wat that was actually rebuilt to it's original glory during the mid 90's. While not quite as ornate as the Grand Palace from the day before, the temple was still quite
On Top of the TowerOn Top of the TowerOn Top of the Tower

Brian and I at the top of one of the burial towers in Ayuthaya.
beautiful and gave you an idea of what the entire ancient city looked like in its prime. Inside was another awe inspiring gold Buddha and many other relics from the time period. After that we drove a short way to yet another What which contains one of the oldest stone Buddha's in all of thailand (around 3,000 years old), but by that point I was a little Watted out for the day and had more fun taking pictures of the cow herd and dogs mingling in the parking lot.

Upon returing to campus we were greeted by the taylors who drove out from the city so that we could all have our first fittings. I have to admit I felt quite studly strutting around the campus in my custom made clothes (even if the jacket was only partly complete), and look forward to an opportunity to wear it out at home once it's complete.

Finally, to round out our day Siddi had arranged for theripists from the Thai school of massage to come out to campus and give us Thai massages in our rooms (it's amazing what you can arrange when you have a group here). So for
Who's that stud?Who's that stud?Who's that stud?

Hey, check out the new trend I'm starting, sleeveless suit jackets! Just joking, this is only the first fitting, the finished product will be delivered tomorrow (with sleeves of course).
a mear 800 Bhat ($20) we each got an hour and a half massage to end our day.

On Tuesday we have a guest lecturer and 6 hours of class and on Wednesday our midterm, so I probably won't have much to share for the next two days. But we're all planning to go out on the town to celebrate Wednesday night so I should have more stories to share later in the week. In the mean time feel free to send me an e-mail and share a few stories from home!



Advertisement



20th June 2006

So jealous
Way to go kid. One minute sight seeing, the next shopping. Wasn't Wat Po amazing, to think about all those little Thai people hand crafting that entire scene on the feet. Too cool. Dianne and I will have the basket lady and jewelry lady info for you this week. Sorry you already have a test, damn school.... Stay safe. Love Anna
20th June 2006

I love the travel blog! Sounds like you're having a great time. As promised, your Chicago Cubs update (though I'm sure you can get the same info from the internet). The Cubs were smacked around by the Tigers this past weekend -- there is no other way to describe it -- and Prior was absolutely shelled in his return on Sunday. However, the Cubs looked pretty good last night beating the Indians. Same old story. Oh well.
20th June 2006

French Cuff Shirts
I knew those cuff links would come in handy!!! Love the pictures and the stories. All is relativly quiet here. We are going to Lake Park Bistro tonight to celebrate Richard's birthday. Should be good. Gracie seems to be coping without you. She headed immediately for Dick's lap on Sunday. Have fun..... Perhaps the tailor's could come up with a raincoat!! Love ya Peggy
21st June 2006

One comment for the Giant Buddha....RUB MY BELLY!
21st June 2006

What!!!!!
Scott in a suit!!!!!!

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb