Dushanbe, Shaartuz, Garm


Advertisement
Tajikistan's flag
Asia » Tajikistan
March 28th 2006
Published: May 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

There is a weekly flight from Munich to Dushanbe which saves a transit in Moscow, and if you have a letter of invitation, you can get a visa on arrival.

Dushanbe is a peaceful city in the trees; everybody walks, street sweepers are out in the early morning to brush away the leaves. The cars are mostly Lada's, a perfect car for the environment since you can fix it yourself. Electric powered buses cruise the main streets stopping only to pickup passangers and put the electrodes back on the wires. Red, white and green blinking flags light up the streets.

Men wear suits and ties, occasionally long soft fabric coats. The ladies wear long dresses, headscarves, sparkly shoes and have a gypsy appeal.

Since Walmart and McDonalds have not penetrated this market, there are still unique restaurants and bazzars. The amusement park comes complete with a statue of Lenin, old bumper cars and ferris wheels.

The Antiquities museum is well worth the visit and three dollars for admission. The charming lady at the door insists you put the hospital style foot covers over your shoes to keep the museum spotless and immaculate. The show piece of the museum is the 11M reclining buddha.

There is not a lot of english spoken here, but the people are friendly and considerate, and they serve cold draft beer in large mugs. Smiles show the golden teeth.

Tajiks use large handleless teacups; it is tradition to pour the first cup back into the pot. The local round bread comes in 3 sizes and has a slightly different taste in different parts of the country.

In Dushanbe, there are apartments or hotels for rent - upcountry we would just sleep on someones floor. In the fall, the roads would be lined with people selling fresh fruit and produce. In the spring, the dry countryside would turn green, grass in the fields, daffodils, birds, cherry and almond trees blossom.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Garm - supperGarm - supper
Garm - supper

Everyone gathered after sunset to break the Ramadan fast - Oct 05
Group ShotGroup Shot
Group Shot

How to put that reflector on that pole.
I asked for a ladderI asked for a ladder
I asked for a ladder

Got a truck and a container.
Road and CloudRoad and Cloud
Road and Cloud

Most days have no clouds in the sky.
Shaartuz - March 06Shaartuz - March 06
Shaartuz - March 06

Looking down on Dushanbe from the south
Shaartuz - March 06Shaartuz - March 06
Shaartuz - March 06

Locals at the dam.
Shaartuz - March 06Shaartuz - March 06
Shaartuz - March 06

The grass makes a huge difference to the scenery
Making Ploofe in the BackyardMaking Ploofe in the Backyard
Making Ploofe in the Backyard

Tajik specialty - rice and carrots.
Varzob River valleyVarzob River valley
Varzob River valley

A Tajik snowdrift - they just opened up the road.


7th February 2007

Great pictures!
I'm working on a presentation on this country and looking at your photos as well as checking out this site has greatly helped me imagine what Tajikistan is really like as I was in the lack of pictures of the countryside. Thank you for the illustration and brief description.
6th April 2007

Thanks
Thanks a lot for this site,you just really introduced a country in Asia by name Tajikistan.As I am the citizen of this land i pride that i have such beautiful and peacefull country.Long live Tajikistan!!!
26th April 2010

Dushanbe - Djirgatal information
Hi , I am Cristi Serban from Roumania . I want to go in Tajikistan for climbing peak Tandykul 5545m near Djirgatal . I want to ask you if exist daily busses from Dushanbe to Garm and how much cost ? , and from Garm it is possible to find taxi to Djirgatal ( or seat in taxi , or bus ) ? Thank you very much , Cristi Serban!

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 20; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0705s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb