FACES OF TAJIKISTAN...the Cultural Divide


Advertisement
Published: December 9th 2017
Edit Blog Post

FACES OF TAJIKISTAN...the Cultural Divide. I still shake my head in disbelief this could happen...but it did. Then when it became known...and I made it clear to them that they had disgraced the whole group by doing so...the protagonists tried to change the facts and attempted to justify their appalling behaviour as if it was to help the local people to improve their lot. But pigs fly and wind i... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 126, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

AiperiAiperi
Aiperi

Murghab
Sourat ToimastovSourat Toimastov
Sourat Toimastov

Principal Pamir Adventure



9th December 2017

Faces of Tajikistan
Hey Dave, answering to some of your question, I would say that is always positive to accept what hosts offer you especially in such countries where people have different traditions and cultures. It happened to me as well to experience that and I appreciate more if that kindness has been given to me by some poor people, because I know they are giving the best that can have. I think it would be boring if the whole world became all the same. I instead appreciate these differences and it is fair they can conserve them otherwise there would not be a point to visit certain places if they changed their habits. Great photos as always Dave, keep well Bye
9th December 2017

Faces of Tajikistan
Thank you for your considered comments Marcos. We met other Italians on the trip who had returned because they loved the Pamir so much. Hope you fulfil your dream to get there yourself.
9th December 2017

You are right, they were wrong
It is as simple as that. The reactions of the locals tells all. Were they happy with the way they were treated by said trio? No! Did they feel enlightened by them? No! For me it is a classic tale of the 'superior' white European bringing so called civilisation to the uncivilsed barbarians, it's not only rude, it's racist. It is so wrong in so many ways. When I read your blog I could hardly believe it. My mind kept wondering, do people like this really exist? But I know they do, you read about them all the time. I'm not sure what I would have done in your situation. I don't know if I would have been as nice as you were, and I think you were pretty nice. Hope Shane came out of this unscathed...
9th December 2017

You are right, they were wrong
You Dutch are great travellers Ralf and the Dutch I know are direct speakers. I guess you have seen more than most. I appreciate you understand why I did what I did and why I felt compelled to write a blog about what they did. Thank you for your comments.
9th December 2017

Boiling
Their behaviour make my blood boil my dancing friend. If I had been present I would have joined you in your peaceful protest against them. As for your questions: Q1: Within reason, I try to never complain myself but I might inquire if there might be something that might make the stay better for me. Q2: Yes, I would never critique when someone tries their best to give me a good experience. Q3: Yes, when it's clear that they are giving it their all there is no validity to criticism. Q4: You might give tips and hints in a good mannered and friendly way, but doing so from a condescending viewpoint is terrible. Q5: No, I don't think so, in time the world will equalise on it's own accord and just being their supporting the local economy without a judgemental tone is enough. Q6: Not really our business as long as they treat us well. Q7: I generally don't like tipping, or rather I don't think about it since it doesn't exist in Sweden. But if I have a great experience and I think it was to cheap considering what was given then I don't mind tacking on a bit of my own free will.
9th December 2017

Boiling
While my words are restrained Per-Olof I see you can empathise with the issues therein. Thank you for your comments to each of the questions. Much appreciate your considered and clear response. I'll treat yours as a Swedish response.
9th December 2017

Courtesy knows no boundaries
You were probably nicer to these complainers than I would have been. I think the only reasons to decline someone's - anyone's - hospitality is if it violated your religious or moral restrictions, or if you truly thought it might be dangerous. I see nothing untoward with an orthodox Jew or faithful Muslim declining to eat pork, and giving an explanation that it is not that the food isn't good enough, just that their religions forbids it. I would decline to eat food that was rancid, even if considered a delicacy like Icelandic fermented shark. Again, I would NEVER demand to be fed something else, just a polite excuse why I couldn't eat what was on offer. That's just good manners, no matter where you are. As far as tipping, I hate tipping. I never know what the customary rate is, and I am always afraid I give too little or too much. I would much prefer that people be paid a good wage so that their livelihood is not dependent on the cheapskates and clueless.
9th December 2017

Courtesy knows no boundaries
Thank you for your comments Karen. You raise some interesting points that should be considered if cultural or religious factors apply. Your comments on tipping are fair however, from my Life ain't easy in the Pamir blog, it is easy to see why we felt it appropriate to tip more generously than what was recommended, You will be pleased your fellows Americans were regarded by the locals as "perfect"!!!
9th December 2017

Amazing Faces
Great blog and pictures again Dave! Such beauty is in the human face. Good on you for calling out the three complaining faces though! Some folks are born into the world crying, live their life complaining and then die disappointed - unfortunate for them I would say. I am so pleased you have had fun writing your blogs of this truly outstanding part of the world. I trust your upcoming adventures will continue to take you to the lesser-visited spots... Keep dancing. Dave.
10th December 2017

Amazing Faces
A Canadian response, thank you Dave. I might pin your gem on the fridge...what a cracker "Some folks are born into the world crying, live their life complaining and then die disappointed." As one who has joined the ride from the start, you may have noticed my titbits about attitude in my earlier blogs were all leading to this. Such a shame they had to flavour the trip at all. I find we are not remembered by the locals by name when we travel but by our nationality. It is therefore incumbent in my mind that we travel with respect as we are ambassadors of our countries in some respect. Thanks for your comments.
10th December 2017

The good, the bad.....and the ugly
Dancing One....I have been waiting for this blog since we left that magical place. Using what I consider to be great restraint (knowing you as I do) most likely forced you to summon up amazing literary patience while penning this blog. But enough of that.....your "Faces" blogs are always enjoyable as they capture the essence of the locals....and of course, their smiles. Thank you for your last photo........Dangerous Dave
10th December 2017

The good, the bad.....and the ugly
Thanks Dave for your support. You know it happened...we all know it happened...they even boasted to Shane (to his horror) that it happened. Shane showed amazing leadership to encourage the three to leave the trip at Kara Kul as he felt they destabilised the group. It was his idea to do so and he achieved it so they thought he was doing them a favour. The Kool Kids arose as testament to the benefit, Yet the repercussions of the 100 kms for the chicken dinner (and 100 kms return) tested his leadership to unchartered waters, It is my hope he has assured the tour company that he accepts it has happened, is appalled it has happened and will ensure on any of his tours that nothing like that can ever happen again, I feel that if he can or has shown such empathy to the locals, these events can be turned into positives and strengthen his leadership in their eyes for the future. Thanks to MJ and yourself for joining us on this ride. It's been a blast.
10th December 2017

Portraits. Of Humanity
Wonderful faces Dave. I have really enjoyed a few hours on this winters evening reading your blogs for this amazing trip... You have a certain style which lends itself to binge blog reading !!! it’s been like going through a whole box set !! Feeling like I was along with you guys ..I was horrified by the “obnoxiuos ones “ final disgusting escapade. chickens !!! I would have wrung their necks !! I had already read MJ and Dave’s blog so it was very interesting to get your take on it. I have been offering hospitality / Home exchange in my home for many years and usually make lifelong friends but a couple of years ago had a horrible experience when another one of the obnoxious tribe turned on me with an outburst similar to the one you had with your German guy. This pair skulked out of my home at 6 am the following morning without a word after a week where they had stayed for free, I had fed them and drove them round the local sights !! As we say up North “there’s nowt so queer as folk “ . As to your questions .. be kind and generous to anyone offering to share their home and culture , and for tipping I would always take the advice of the local company .. we tipped our guide in Cambodia as he was excelent and went out of his way to look after us .but had a few issues in Vietnam so we chose not to tip , gave feedback about the issues and donated what we would have given to a local charity . GenerAlly people working inthe leisure industry even here in the UK have low wages and as much as we would like things to be fair ..they are not so I would tip. So thanks Dave for the time and effort which has made it possible for us to travel along the road with you. Lynne
10th December 2017

Portraits. Of Humanity
Thank you for your comments Lynne. Warms the heart that my determination to shine a light in dark corners strikes a chord with my friends in the ether. Thanks to Travelblog we can share our joys, meanderings and upsets with like minded souls. As you have now read all of my Tajikistan blogs in one sitting you can feel the vibe of a trip that was truly magnificent. But you can also appreciate that this last blog is the one I had to write. My only previous Ugly Tourist blog is my Faces of Ethiopia. However this Faces of Tajikistan blog was personal. I stuck my neck out and I am pleased I did. I feel so strongly that the manipulative behaviour of the vicious three cannot simply be swept under the rug as if it did not happen. I hope Shane has made it clear to the tour company that he accepts and is appalled by what happened and assures them that on his watch he will ensure it does not happen again. How sad in your generosity with homestays that you met a couple that ripped you off by leaving without a thank you. But where there is darkness there is light. I am determined my last blog of this trip will be uplifting and victorious. Watch this space!
10th December 2017

Wind is wind and it was howling in the Stans....
I smiled and laughed at your bravery as I read your blog. Thank you for sharing the ugly truth. You know I didn't love all those cliff side roads on the Panj River but I made it the best I could. It was interested to see the story change as they were called out on bad behavior and realized not all thought what they did was funny or appropriate. Tipping details were provided to us in the pre-trip details....they should have given far more than the expected as they were so inappropriate. Love the faces of Tajikistan. MJ
11th December 2017

Wind is wind and it was howling in the Stans....
It sure was MJ...and pigs fly in the Pamir...at least they did until we shot them down. One of the great roadtrips of the World...so different to what I imagined it would be like. Gotta say Denise and I expected it would be much tougher and considerably less comfortable. To us it was a breeze which made the complainers so difficult to empathise with. And then there was Dangerous Dave & you Merry Jo...a kinship and connection that is very special. Thank you for being you and flying in formation with us. The Dancing Car had the coolest groove...and only we know how hard we rocked.
11th December 2017

“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor”…
I used to wonder how/when karma would get nasty people, but I've come to realise that living with themselves IS their karma ;) Looks like those three have narcissism levels that would make tyrants blush, with a healthy dose of post-colonial superiority thrown in for good measure. I really really wish the homestay folk had told them to shove it, and sent them to bed with no dinner! But it's a testament to their hospitality that they wanted to please their guests. I'm so glad that you took a stand and said something, I firmly believe that we have a moral duty to call out bullies... which is why I think Desmond Tutu’s quote is spot on. Regarding tipping, I despise it when it's forced upon us rather than it being reserved as a bonus for good service/added value. But acknowledging that a reasonable minimum pay isn't universal, tipping takes on a different meaning when we travel
11th December 2017

“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor”…
I am somewhat relieved that my blog has received such support Ren. When we were out in the wild I felt I was sticking my neck out...but my sentiments in the blog were very real and I was torn between not rocking the boat and overwhelming conscience that I could not live with myself if I remained silent. Yet the speeches that ran through my head were lost and the simple words I said just came out unprepared. Yet it had to be short and sweet to have maximum effect and the right words tumbled out as it turned out. Thank you for your comments. You get it and I appreciate that.
11th December 2017

The other comments reflect my views...
so no need to repeat here. I'm glad you said something to them. I loved your return to lovely portraits. Although the scenery was out of this world, it's the people who scratch out a bare subsistence in this environment who you gave us a view of their joy with life. I hope they meet all the best tourists from now on.
11th December 2017

The other comments reflect my views...
Nice to hear from you Bob. Kind of expected a Colorado cannonball from you but I guess the others have fired some shrapnel for you. Ah the faces. The people from Tajikistan had character leaping out of their pores. Lots of portraits...but I can connect with all of them. One last blog to end the trip. I'll think of our time in the snow when I write this one.
11th December 2017
Chabysh Horse Festival

Tajikistan
Such happy and kind people
11th December 2017
Chabysh Horse Festival

Tajikistan
Great people MJ...so happy and kind. How lucky were we to have been able to receive their hospitality...honoured in my opinion.
11th December 2017

Shameless
It's so sad to hear what those women did and sad to hear that the locals were to subservient to say no. Q1. Depends on how much I'm paying. There are homestays that are obvious rip-offs Q2. Yes definitely Q3. A little constructive criticism can help but has to be said with kindness Q4. Yes because they are in the hospitality business Q5. Yes. We all need feedback to grow Q6. How they provide hospitality since you're paying you should have a say. A very diplomatic one. On how they live their lives, no. Q7. If it's acceptable in their culture then I'm happy to tip. However, tipping culture in the States is messed up. I prefer how we do it here in the Philippines where it's included in the bill and if you're happy then you can give more. That way I never feel like I'm cheating on anyone.
11th December 2017

Shameless
Thanks for your replies to all the questions Harold. A gold star is heading your way. Shameless so true. The hardest thing was seeing the faces of our hosts when being told their hospitality was not good enough by the three and the best was their faces when they received our thanks and appreciation. Faces I present so often show good character...and that is why there are no names or portraits of the vicious three in my blogs. Keep smiling Harold.
13th December 2017

Words fail me
World fail me, the sort of behaviour you called out, and quite rightly, is indicative of the worst racist and ignorant views people can hold. None of us should 'let it go', because (who said this?), all it takes for evil to triumph is for good people to remain silent. Those people were not 'developing' anything except their own egos and their attitudes to their hosts were contemptible.
13th December 2017

Words fail me
You are so right when you say "all it takes for evil to triumph is for good people to remain silent." Another gem for the fridge, Jools. Yet I was the only one who said anything as it turned out...everyone else so concerned of any backlash from the vicious three on Shane that if not for me no one would have called them out for their abominable behaviour. Thanks for your support and for your comments. Much appreciated.
13th December 2017

Wow.
To behave like that is one thing, but to feel they were justified because they were ‘helping’ is beyond words. Why do people like that choose to go on trips like this I wonder? Is it a white saviour complex? Glad the rest of you had fun and hope Shane isn’t put off organising such a trip again.
13th December 2017

Wow.
You raise some very interesting points Kris & Kate. I personally do not accept there was any motivation to help the locals at all as the behaviour in getting extra benefits at meals when we were present was always done by the Irish woman only and with over the top charm and triumph each time. The Germans were there to make videos for internet presentation. The one thing the three had in common was they had superior attitudes and they were constant complainers. A psychological assessment of the motivation in getting locals to travel 100 kms and back for a chicken dinner is otherwise beyond my professional speciality. My best guess is in my blog. Thanks for your comments. I'll take yours as coming from England and the Ukraine.
21st December 2017
Chabysh Horse Festival

My fav
This is my favourite /Ake
22nd December 2017
Chabysh Horse Festival

My fav
Nice choice Ake. I have a lot of favourite portraits in this blog. I'll take your non-comment on this culminating story as a deafening silence...presumably in disbelief this could happen. But that's of course presumptive of me. Thanks for checking in.
9th September 2018

you were right and love the portraits
We wonder why people such as the ones you described actually travel - they don't appreciate that there are cultural differences and that is what makes those of us that love to travel enjoy and learn from. We are always so impressed with those that have less are usually the ones that are more than willing to try to please. It is travelers like the 3 that you described confirm for some the term "ugly tourists'". It is a shame that these have no understanding of the repercussions of what they say and do. It is the same as the saying "a few rotten apples can spoil the whole bushel basket" - sure hope that things worked out with the tour company in the end as it would be a shame for other travelers to miss these wonderful opportunities that you had. As for tipping - we tip to thank people for the efforts that they obviously put forth for us as travelers - the hardest part is to figure what to give as a tip as you also do not want it to be so far out of balance that it can actually cause a problem for others with setting a standard that is too far out of line, but also want to have it enough to make the person know how much we appreciate what they have done. How do you try to figure out the amount to tip? It seems to be one of our biggest challenges as we travel from country to country. As early as we can we try to get some recommendations from local people that we meet and can discuss an issue such as this, but that is not always possible. Again, thanks for your discussion on this, you definitely were right to say something to them in hopes that in some way they can reflect and learn - at least that is the hope. Your portraits are fabulous
10th September 2018

you were right and love the portraits
Ah...the memories. What an absolutely stunning part of planet Earth. The High Pamir is out of this World. I still shake my head in disbelief the three could take advantage of their hosts in such a way then crow about it. Our memories are of the High Pamir with its stunning vistas and incredibly generous people, Thanks for reading and commenting. My other "Ugly Tourists" blog is my Faces of Ethiopia...disturbing but true!

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 23; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb