<<回台北走走2012>> Gong Guan Night Market


Advertisement
Taiwan&#039;s flag
Asia » Taiwan » Taipei
August 17th 2012
Published: August 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Friday, 17th August 2012

We showed up at the Taipei Main Station in the morning hoping to purchase the train tickets to Yilan County. The plan was to soak ourselves in the Suao Cold Springs before visiting the popular Luodong Night Market in the evening.

However, tickets for the reserved seating on the Tze Chiang Express were sold out for the morning. I guess we had ourselves to blame for not purchasing our tickets the day before.

Since our plans were dampened by the lack of tickets and the wet weather that followed in the afternoon, we decided to head indoors to the cineplex @ Q Square. Movie-going in Taiwan was a costly affair as we soon found out. A pair of tickets plus a small serving of pop-corns and drinks cost a whopping NT700 for 2 even during the off-peak periods. Considering that we could have a decent meal in Taiwan for a mere NT100, this was definitely an extravagant experience.

Anyway, the movie itself was a disappointment on top of the premium prices we paid. As the rain continued to make downfall in the afternoon, we shopped our way through the massive Underground Mall that was seemlessly connected to the Taipei Main Station.

It was closed to 7pm before the rains finally stopped. Decided not to waste the evening away, we took the metro to Gong Guan Station where a bustling night market was located. The market was filled with snacks and inexpensive clothing catering to the youngsters from the nearby National Taiwan University.

Nothing much had changed in Gong Guan since my last visit in August 2008. The difference was that I had the entire night to explore the mazes of lanes that were littered across the district.

It was always great to retire back to our hotel in the evening after a day of sight-seeing. Whether it was helping ourselves to the coffee at the pantry or utilizing the PCs at the lobby, the feeling was like returning to my own home in Taiwan.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb