Two Days in Taipei


Advertisement
Taiwan's flag
Asia » Taiwan » Taipei
September 29th 2011
Published: October 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

If you find yourself with several days to spend in Taipei, rest assured that the city lends itself well to sightseeing under the pressure of time. Although it may not be possible to see everything you’d like in this large metropolitan city, there are still many places that are exciting to explore.

Taipei is a neat, logical, metropolitan city that reminds me a lot of Seoul. It is separated into twelve districts, most of which are easy accessible via the subway system. At first I was a little confused by the distinction between Taipei and New Taipei, but it is safe to assume that the two together constitute a massive city.

Landing in Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport was quite simple. A series of bus lines run to various parts of Taipei, simply walk up to a booth in the terminal, tell them your destination, and they will provide you with a ticket and a platform number at which to wait. The ride into Taipei takes about one hour.

Tips for Travel in Taipei:
1. Do: Have the name of your desired destinations written in Chinese. Although many people do speak English and are quite friendly, it is always helpful to have the location of the place you are looking for written in Chinese. When we arrived at the closest subway station to each sight on our list, we asked the information booth people to write the name of the place in Chinese. This helped us immensely, especially when trying to get a taxi.
2. Don’t shy away from trying the local cuisine. It can be rather intimidating to look at a menu with no pictures written in a language you don’t understand, but be adventurous. Ask the waiters if they can recommend a dish. Many would be happy to do so. I recommend trying the large variety of steamed dumplings, they are delightful.
3. Do try the street food. Although this is similar to the above recommendation, sampling street food is an experience that should not be ignored. The plus side is, you see the food as it is being made so there is no need to cautiously decipher a menu.
4. Don’t rely on taxis! Taipei has a wonderful public transportation system that is incredibly easy to navigate. Not to mention the great things you will see while walking from one place to another. Taipei is a great walking city so make an effort to take in the sights on foot.


Neihu District:

Arguably the most striking sight in the Neihu district was Bishan Temple, a colorful Taoist temple that sits on a mountaintop overlooking downtown. This was the first temple in Taiwan that we visited and I must say that it was spectacular. The amount of detail that went into every corner of every rooftop was astounding. The colors were vibrant, the carvings and paintings were marvelous, and the view was clear and impressive. We must have spent an hour wandering the grounds of this temple, taking hundreds of photos, and pausing to “wow” and “ahhh” at various points. The view, the architecture, and the artwork are amazing; don’t miss out on seeing this temple.

Information: Take the subway to Neihu station then take the local red bus #2 to the temple. Alternatively, take a short (and inexpensive) taxi ride to the temple from the station, then take the bus back. Be prepared to wait for the bus as it does not come very often.

DOWNTOWN

Taipei 101

Downtown Taipei is an exciting area to wander around in. Xinyi is a bustling downtown district of Taipei, and is home to Taipei 101, the second tallest skyscraper in the world (508 meter tall). After having visited the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur, I was not expecting to be wowed by Taipei 101, but it definitely proved its importance. In addition to its height, the architecture of Taipei 101 adds to its uniqueness and allows it stand out. The tower is home to the world’ fastest elevator, and the building itself has very symbolic architecture. “TAIPEI 101 Tower rises in 8 canted sections, a design based on the Chinese lucky number “8”. It is a homonym for prosperity in Chinese, and the 8 sections of the structure are designed to create rhythm in symmetry, introducing a new style for skyscrapers.” (www.taipei-101.com). The intricate design separating each section is delicate, and allows the skyscraper to look as though it belongs in its surroundings rather than stick out like an garish eyesore. All in all, Taipei 101 surpassed my expectations and should not be missed.

Information: A ride to the top in the zooming elevator will cost you NT$400. The closest subway station is Taipei City Hall MRT station and from there it is a 15 minute walk to the tower.

Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall

The memorial hall is an important symbol of Taipei, and the national flag is raised here each morning. The memorial site is pristine and beautiful, making it a great location for locals and tourists to gather and relax.

Information: Look for the Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall exit on the Xindian line.


Longshan Temple

Located in the Wanhua District of West Taipei, this is an incredibly beautiful temple in a lively historic part of the city. This temple was originally built in 1738 but was destroyed at various points in time due to fires, natural disasters, and a WWII bombing. It has since been restored, and continues to be a special place of worship for the Taiwanese people. The architecture is as intricate and awe-inspiring as other temples in Taiwan, but the area surrounding Longshan Temple is what makes it so special. Although the surrounding architecture has all been modernized, this area still feels very traditional. Snacks are sold in the streets, busy people rush from place to place, and worshipers flock to the temple. The narrower streets and lack of immediate skyscrapers allow for the illusion of walking through the past to develop.

While wandering through the area, you will undoubtedly encounter one or two smaller temples. Pay them a visit as well; the people working in temples in Taiwan tend to be extremely friendly and hospitable.

Information: The temple is located near the “Longshan Temple” Exit on the blue line.

Datong District

Baoan Temple is a truly stunning Taoist temple full of elaborate murals and carvings. The temple was constructed in the 1800s over a period of 25 years and is dedicated to the god of medicine. The artwork in this temple is truly remarkable, detailed, and expressive.

Located very close to this temple is the Confucius Temple, this temple follows the traditional Chinese style of temple art and architecture. On September 28th of each year, a ceremony is held to honor Confucius.

Information: The temples are located closest to Yuanshan exit on the Danshui Line.

Shilin District

Located in the northern part of Taipei, Shilin boasts sights such as the Grand Hotel and the Night Market.

The Shilin Night Market dates back to the 1800s, where it began as a trading post of various goods. Today, it is a lively and crowded market selling everything from knock off designer handbags to fruit smoothies. Perhaps the most entertaining and surreal part of the market is the random carnival games and rides located randomly throughout the market. The games are quite entertaining and the rides include bumper cars without any noticeable borders that the cars should be kept in. The market also has many rows of food stalls selling various Taiwanese foods.

Information: The market begins after sundown but it is best to go later in the evening to get the full effect. The closest subway station is Jiantan, located on the red subway line.

Tamsui (AKA Danshui) District in New Taipei

A visit to this area may lead you to forget that you are in Taipei due to the remaining evidence of past Dutch colonization as well as the modernized beachside walking areas and shops. This is also a great area to get your exercise while strolling through different parts of the neighborhood.

Information: The area can be reached from Danshui station by walking or taking a bus to the different sights.

Fort San Domingo is a Dutch fort that was constructed in the 1600s and sits atop a hill that has great views of the waterfront. It definitely looks like it has no place in Taipei, but nevertheless it adds to the diversity of the city by offering a different style of architecture. It is a bit of a walk (although doable) from the subway so consider taking a taxi or the Red Bus #26.

The Tamsui Old Street is a delightful place to walk, shop, eat, and rest. There are countless shops and restaurants and the waterfront walking area has arcades and even more restaurants. While walking around, you’ll encounter several beautiful local temples that entice you with the wafting aroma of incense. This is a great place to do your souvenir shopping, as well as indulge in local cuisine.

After visiting Fort San Domingo and Old Street, end your time in Tamsui at the Fisherman’s Wharf. This is a more modernized area which has a beautiful little bridge, cafes, and high-end restaurants. This is a great place to nap on the pier, drink a bubble tea, or pamper yourself with an exciting meal.

Although two days for a city as large as Taipei may not seem like enough time, you can definitely see the highlights of the city and get a feel for the city. Two days of walking for 12+ hours each day really wore me out, but I am satisfied with everything I was able to see and do.



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb