Hong Kong to Taipei


Advertisement
Taiwan's flag
Asia » Taiwan » Taipei
April 28th 2010
Published: May 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday was a LONG day. We got up at 5am to say goodbye to my Dad, who was able to catch a ride with our school driver to downtown Bao'an (the district of Shenzhen we live in) and then a taxi the rest of the way to take a ferry directly to the Hong Kong Airport. We were worried about him, naturally, but he made it without any hitches and got online at the Airport before his flight to inform us about the trip there. It was a trip of more fantastic memories and laughs, and I'm so glad he was able to come see our life here for a second time! I know he has truly gained an appreciation for China and its people.

During my dad's trip here, we learned that our students would be testing for three days and we would have some unexpected time off. It just so happened to coincide nicely with the day of my Dad's departure, so we were able to plan to take off the very next day! We've definitely been incredibly lucky with the amount of time we've gotten off this year, even in comparison to other teachers in the program. Have to take advantage of the opportunities this year!

After teaching, we headed to the Shenzhen Airport and boarded a cross-border coach bus to downtown Hong Kong- we still had to get out to cross the border, but because it was a Tuesday night, the lines were nearly non-existent.

We made it to our hostel in Mirador Mansion (the same crazy hostel building we usually stay in) around 8pm and immediately headed back out to enjoy numerous 10HKD tacos at a Mexican restaurant we'd previously been to. We were super excited to get to enjoy their 'Taco Tuesday' special, as it's probably the only time we'll be in HK on a random Tuesday evening! Mmm, Mexican food...can't get enough.

Waking up early today, we easily made it out to the airport by city bus and checked in without any problems. It was Martin's first time to the Hong Kong Airport and only my second! Funny to think we hadn't been there before.

We flew DragonAir from HK to Taipei, and the flight was only about an hour and a half. They served lunch, a delicious VEGETARIAN pasta for me and some chicken dish for Martin. Love DragonAir- we had no complaints!

Upon arriving at the Taipei Taoyuan International Airport, about 40 minutes outside the city, we made our way through customs (a quick stamp in the passport allowing us to stay visa-free for 30 days) and out to buy a ticket on an express bus into the city, thanks to directions from our hostel. From there it was a short ride on the metro and an easy 5 minute walk to Eight Elephants Hostel in the Shida area of town- near Taiwan National University. It's our first time staying in bunkbeds in a dorm room, as the private rooms for 2 are usually cheaper than 2 beds in a dorm room, but not this time. We'll see how it goes! The hostel is clean and adorable with super nice staff.

Because we didn't get to the hostel until almost 5pm, this evening was basically spent finding nourishment and orienting ourselves to the city. We ended up at a delicious pizza place near our hostel, enjoying a Greek pizza and an Apple-Cinnamon-Ricotta Cheese pizza and then enjoyed walking around the Shida Night Market a bit.

Already, we're more than impressed with Taipei. The metro is fast and easy to figure out, there is correct English signage EVERYWHERE, the city doesn't seem to have one ounce of garbage on the street and everyone is constantly smiling and willing to lend a hand.

Tomorrow, it's off to see the second tallest building in the world- Taipei 101!

Advertisement



5th May 2010

tacos
I want to know exactly where this taco place is! I've been to HK 2x this week and I'm still taco-less!
6th May 2010

It's called Tequila Jack's, in Kowloon. I don't really know how to describe how to get there, but here's the info: 33-35 Chatham Road South, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon Tel: (852) 3428 5133

Tot: 0.229s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 71; dbt: 0.1343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb