Camping in Pinglin tea growing area


Advertisement
Taiwan's flag
Asia » Taiwan » Taipei
December 16th 2008
Published: December 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

For more of my photos, or to buy my book, please visit www.nickkembel.com

A Pot of Green Tea with your Campfire?



Add to the list of things I love about Taiwan: you can camp and even swim in the middle of December. Though I would like to point out that the only two people who jumped in the freezing river water were the Canadians in the group. I would also like to point out, just for comparison's sake, that on the same weekend it was 50 degrees colder in my hometown in Canada.

Our camping venue was Pinglin, a small town in the middle of one of the most famous tea producing regions of Taiwan, about 30km south-east of Taipei. In true camping fashion we spent the better part of the waking hours of the weekend drinking beer.

However, we also managed to check out the old street of Pinglin with it's cute tea pot lanterns, eat in a restaurant where all the items were green tea flavored (my favorite was the deep fried green tea leaves), and go for a pleasant hike along the river and through beautiful tea fields and terraces.

Along the
PinglinPinglinPinglin

Small village in one of the most famous tea growing regions of Taiwan
way we encountered an elderly woman tending to the fields who spoke only Taiwanese (instead of the now prevalent Chinese), and we conversed with her via our companion Kaylin's translations.

At night we had a campfire by the river, did some drunken river dives, and some of us enjoyed firespinning lessons from Kaylin. The campsite itself was unimpressive by North American standards, but 20 degrees is too cold for most Taiwanese people so we had the entire campsite to ourselves.

Also, the friendly owners didn't mind if we went grabbed beers from the fridge as we pleased, and then paid from them later! They also let us use their kitchen to cook up some hot pot in the morning, the perfect cure to a little camping hangover!

For more of my photos, or to buy my book, please visit www.nickkembel.com




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Pinglin Old StreetPinglin Old Street
Pinglin Old Street

Note the really cute tea pot lantern
Kaylin FirespinningKaylin Firespinning
Kaylin Firespinning

Kaylin adds the perfect touch to our campfire by the river
Hiking around PinglinHiking around Pinglin
Hiking around Pinglin

Keir, Nick, Liz, Jonathan, Juliana, Kaylin, and Dave
True CampingTrue Camping
True Camping

You pretty much can't tell that we totally staged this photo.
BuddhaBuddha
Buddha

Up in the hills above the Pinglin Tea Museum


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb