Taipei Once Again!


Advertisement
Taiwan's flag
Asia » Taiwan » Taipei
January 10th 2008
Published: January 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Taipei Once Again!! Woohoo!!

Tot the place would be a bit unfamiliar after half a decade, but it did not seem too foreign.

The streets were as old and not so clean as before. The buildings remained "historical" and duno whether can withstand any rattling that the city may experience. The ppl seem less friendly and warm. And, the weather had tricked me - it was warm for winter time.

Alrighty, enough of negativities, there were still many good things that happened and were found!

FOOD
1) Mister Donut. This Japanese-brand of donut is not available in Singapore so it's a treasure to be found in Taiwan. It had a new type donut - green tea donut with red bean paste. Yummy yum yum ;p It was the 1st thing I ate in Taipei.

2) Jay Chou's Fav Food Haunt in Dan Shui. (see pics)

3) Street food at Shihfan Night Market. Also a crowded place like Shihlin Night Market. It was smaller but no shortage of good food. Due to stomach and time contraints, could only eat the beef steak that had sunnyside-up and thin noodles as side dishes. Be prepared to queue and eat in less than pleasant condition. However, it was value for money. There was a very popular crepe stall there which we didn't get to try... q was super long. Aww... how disappointing.

4) Steamboat. (see pic)

5) Fried chicken at Gongguan Night Market. It was a worthy competitor of the famous "Hao Da Da Ji Pai". The outer layer was crispy and not too thick. The meat was tender n juicy. N the generous serving of veg salad made this heaty food a more healthy. Each serving cost
6) "Bing1 Mei2" (literal translation is Ice Plum). Bought it from a stall in Dan Shui coz the three of us were going to have sore throat and cough and phglem. Amazingly, it really helped to soothe our throats! It tasted a little bitter and cooling.

7) Ah Zhong Mian Xian (Mee Sua) @ Ximending. Well, this not my fav but would like to mention as my frens like it. It had pig's intestine in it but you can ask for "kosong" one, like what I did. If you were lucky, or perhaps when there was less ppl
Jay ChouJay ChouJay Chou

I'm not a groupie. Just couldn't miss highly recommended good food. The highlight should be the chicken in the background. IT's GOOD. The rice, in the foreground, should be nurtritious too coz it has lotsa diff kind of veg in it. I was apprehensive in ordering the chicken as I wanted to stay off meat in Taiwan, which I felt didn't taste good the previous time I went. I was glad I ordered it in the end and didn't miss TW's meat in the subsequent days.
queueing, you may pay lesser for mee sua without intestine.


PLACES
1) SOGO. Gotta be this coz the shoe I had been looking for was sold here. I die die must find the Onitsuka Tiger shoe in taiwan and on the last afternoon there, I shopped for it on my own. Credits go to the Taiwan Tourist Information Counters for helping me to locate the place that sell it. Yippee!!!

2) Wufenpu. Ya ya, it was another shopping place. It was a wholesalers place for clothings, accessories etc. I bet it'll have more stuff for me to buy during summer time. Nevertheless, I bought a bag and 2 belts.

3) Wulai. (See pics below) Tried hotspring for the 1st time in my life. Some said this was a better place to try hotspring than Beitou (nth of taipei city) coz less polluted here. But I didn't enjoy being boiled. Then again, there was cold water to relax in, too. If you didn't like tw food, prepare some food to bring along when you visit.

4) Dan Shui. (See pics below) Ok, the thing that made me want to visit here is the Mayday's song "kia dao
STEAMBOAT (spicy & herbal)STEAMBOAT (spicy & herbal)STEAMBOAT (spicy & herbal)

Through the recommendation of the hotel's recept, we visited this steamboat buffet restaurant in Ximending area. We had lotsa beef and, best part of the buffet, Haagen Daz ice-cream!!!! Can you believe it... there was a pretty good range of ice-cream?! This made up for the Haagen Daz vanilla ice-cream that I passed on the airplane.
dam zhuii hai kua...". Didn't feel the romanticism of the place. Perhaps, it was concentrated at the Fisherman's Wharf which was at a much further end that we didn't venture.

RAINBOW HOTEL
That was where we stayed for 5 nights. Extremely caring and helpful staff. When Kexin told the hotel recept that the airport shuttle (Fei Gou) didn't bring Sinee & I to the nearest drop-off point from the hotel, they called Fei Gou to complain abt the dishonest service.

I'm more or less done with taipei. would love to venture to other parts of taiwan... the resorts in hilly areas, taroko gorge, sun moon lake, alishan, kenting... Perhaps in another half a decade's time...










Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

chanced upon these yummy disheschanced upon these yummy dishes
chanced upon these yummy dishes

Hmm... I had been really thinking hard but couldn't remember what these two dishes were called. They are found at SHIHLIN NIGHT MARKET. The soupy one was thick and full of mushrooms and bamboo shoots and the rice was something like glutinous rice but less sticky and it cost only like NT20 (
Dan Shui RiverDan Shui River
Dan Shui River

Pretty relaxing place even though it was pretty bustling with tourist, locals & lotsa local foodstalls.
WULAI - logcart rideWULAI - logcart ride
WULAI - logcart ride

we took the logcart ride up the hill to view the waterfall. It was not exactly log but mini tram. This actually saved us abt 20-30min from pushing ourselves upslope. Well, there was not much to do up there except to view the waterfall.
WULAI WULAI
WULAI

Took less than 1 hr to get here. This another good place to escape from the hustle & bustle of Taipei city and to relax in the hotspring resorts. Be here early and you could enjoy slight discount at hotspring resort, like us. But, remember, speak with bosses nicely to get discounts.
WULAI - hotspringWULAI - hotspring
WULAI - hotspring

I tot my poor photography skills caused the blurriness of tis pic but, on 2nd tots, it could be the steam from the hotspring. So.... it's not my skill hor.


19th January 2008

Taipei trip
The weather still looks cold in the pic of u 3 ah. didn't realise our taipei trip was FIVE years ago. time passes so FAST! hopefully our next Japan trip is not half a decade later. hmm, talking abt 5 years, remember we target to go Europe in 5 years time after graduation? saving up time for me! :p

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0623s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb