Like a Green Grand Canyon.


Advertisement
Taiwan's flag
Asia » Taiwan » Taipei
June 28th 2007
Published: June 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Taroko GorgeTaroko GorgeTaroko Gorge

I wish I could capture how it really looked...
Today our group flew half-way across Taiwan to spend the day at Taroko National Park near Hualien.

I don’t know enough superlatives to describe the place’s beauty and appeal. Very simply, though, the National Park was a great break from the bustle and humidity of the city of Taipei. At a higher altitude and different climate, the park was comfortable and refreshing.

The primary attraction to the park is Taroko Gorge. Adding to the beauty of the deep canyons is the material from which they are composed: marble.

We drove up to the visitor center of the park and met our guide for the day who first showed us a video about the park, then accompanied us on our driving and walking tour through the park.

I took more pictures today than any other day and I am a little disappointed with them. I am just not a good enough photographer to capture the beauty of the Gorge in any perspective. But I’ll add a few pictures to give an idea.

Oh, and another interesting thing about the place is that the airport in Hualien is part of an air force base. In preparation for
WaterfallWaterfallWaterfall

There were little waterfalls everywhere...
the trip and out of curiosity I Google-mapped the town and viewed the satellite image of Hualien.

Because of the type of threat and pressure Taiwan is under from China, Taiwan must be prepared militarily. Landing at the base offered a fascinatingly different view of the area than the satellite image provided - by defensive design.

Anyway, if you ever happen to make it to Taiwan; Hualien and its surroundings are a must-see…



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Big SpiderBig Spider
Big Spider

None of us saw the little spiders from the ground. The little ones are a somewhat normal size for spiders. Check out that big one...
Temple EntranceTemple Entrance
Temple Entrance

This was the entrance to the pathway up to a temple
FATFAT
FAT

The airline we flew from Taipei to Hualien.
Indigenous WomanIndigenous Woman
Indigenous Woman

This woman belongs to one of the indigenous tribes on the island. She makes these crafts all day every day.
Tattoo StatueTattoo Statue
Tattoo Statue

This is a depiction of a man from a tribe indigenous to the area. The dark patch on his chin represents a tattoo earned by killing an enemy.
Tour GuideTour Guide
Tour Guide

Our wonderful Guide through the park, Sandra Yu.
A Marble WallA Marble Wall
A Marble Wall

The marble wall of Taroko Gorge.
Is It a Bird or a Plane?Is It a Bird or a Plane?
Is It a Bird or a Plane?

The marble wall of Taroko Gorge.Probably one of the many birds...
Look CloselyLook Closely
Look Closely

Is that what it appears to be? No. It's backward from what it appears to be and is an important Buddhist symbol
Beware of Falling RocksBeware of Falling Rocks
Beware of Falling Rocks

Like the ones that happened just behind this sign.


28th June 2007

Awesome
Looks great, man. I know you're enjoying it.
28th June 2007

Photography
Your photography skills are awesome and they do look very professional.....stunning pictures! Your blogs are very informative- thanks for the good reads! Jenn
28th June 2007

Very cool! I love that waterfall! Your pictures aren't that bad!! Anyway, all is normal, as normal can be, over here.....talk to you soon! s
28th June 2007

pics
I love the pics! Looks like you are having a great time.
28th June 2007

awesome
Your photos look great. I want to go!
29th June 2007

Hmmm...
These are really just scanned-in images of travel postcards, aren't they? Prolly picked 'em up at the Chinese 7-11.
30th June 2007

Thanks for sharing
I always wanted to go to there! How beautiful. I enjoyed the pics.
7th July 2007

Beautiful!
David, You say these photos don't do justice but they are wonderful. I am so envious. Hope you are doing well!

Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb