Lu Gang and More


Advertisement
Taiwan's flag
Asia » Taiwan » Taichung
August 17th 2007
Published: August 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Lu Gang

Day trip to Lu Gang!

The Start of a BirdThe Start of a BirdThe Start of a Bird

The guy in charge helped with this one...
Well, this entry is a little late, but I finally have some down time to write. Last Saturday, we took a day trip to Lu Gang. Lu Gang is about an hour away, on the coast. Our first stop was a restaraunt-like place where we used an imitation of old-fashioned rice-clay (playdough, basically. But edible.) and had arts and crafts time. The guy leading us through the clay modeling tried to help us create birds...Well, as you can see in the pictures, we butchered the art of traditional clay figurines. Throughout the day we stopped at several temples. One, I believed named Dragon Mountain Temple, had been heavily damaged in the massive 1999 earthquake and was still under restoration.
Next we went to a small, cozy museum that was set in a old house of some sort. It was a quick trip through, but enjoyable. After the museum, we went to a lantern shop that is famous for the lantern maker who owns it. Unfortunately, when we went, he was not there and there was too much of a crowd in the little shop to get a lantern made.

Today I had my final test-which explains the free
The FinishThe FinishThe Finish

Done all by myself!
time now. This past week has been incredibly stressful, but it's over now, thank goodness. I was hoping to have one last, nice and long entry on a trip to Hua Lian, but that will not happen. Hua Lian is on the eastern side of the island (which requires going up to Taipei and then back down on the east side to avoid the mountains) which has no protection against the approaching typhoon(more on that). So hopefully I'll at least be able to take a day trip or two on the west side of the island after the typhoon has passed. We still have classes next week (why?) but as long as we have a trip planned, we don't have to go! That's enough encouragement for me!

Typhoon Sepat is currently a cat. 4 typhoon (downgraded from a SUPER typhoon, cat. 5) and is heading on a course right near Taichung, where I am. The mountains should help us out some, but once Sepat is past the mountains, it's typhoon time!

Wow, it's hard to believe, but the countdown has begun! 8 days from now, I'll be on a plane heading home! These 2 months have passed
A CrowdA CrowdA Crowd

Everyone's birds (or other things) after the glaze
incredibly quickly and horribly slowly at the same time. Thinking back to the first few days here seems like so long ago-we've down SO much in such a short time- and yet the weeks and days heading to my final test dragged on far too long. As much as I'll miss this beautiful island and everyone I met here, I'm ready for home!!


Check out the route map I added for this entry (new feature!) and be sure to comment!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Flowers in the RainFlowers in the Rain
Flowers in the Rain

Outside the museum
Side of the MuseumSide of the Museum
Side of the Museum

Outside the museum, in the rain
Breast-touching LaneBreast-touching Lane
Breast-touching Lane

This is the caption for a very old picture of a tiny alley-way. The caption says it all.
Lantern ShopLantern Shop
Lantern Shop

Very small, lots of lanterns!
Lantern ShopLantern Shop
Lantern Shop

Drawing lanterns


18th August 2007

Hi Meg,Great pictures of Lu Gang,etc.The clay bird making looked very interesting indeed.It is unfortunate the lantern maker was not in.That would have been awesome.Great shots.Hurry home.
21st August 2007

YOYOOOYO
Heyy... i want one of those birds...ill be expecting one. Jk but bring me some kind of a souvonir haha and like uncle mike said hurry home lol

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb