我在金门的日子, Mashan Observation Station (13th January 2014)


Advertisement
Taiwan's flag
Asia » Taiwan » Kinmen Island
January 13th 2014
Published: January 31st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Monday, 13th January 2014

Shishan / Folk Culture Village Route C

From Kincheng, we travelled across the island by public bus # 3 to Shanwai Town where we were right on time to catch the 9am shuttle to Mashan Observation Station. Located along the north eastern corner of Kinmen Island, the strong icy winds that greeted us when we first got down from the bus was overwhelming.

A long tunnel greeted us as we ran for cover from the winds. At the far end of the tunnel lies Mashan Station, a surveillance and broadcasting station used by the Kuomintang troops to monitor the Communist Army's movement during the confrontation years. Separated by a narrow channel of water from China, the city of Xiamen where we would be visiting in 2 days' time was clearly evident from where we stood.

Moving on to Shishan (Lion Mountain) Artillery Position, we were treated to a feast of artillery performance by the Taiwanese Army. The wedding portraits that showcased the various points of interests in Kinmen were extremely well taken. On one of the walls hung a portrait titled, "那一年我们一起当兵的日子". Clearly, it struck a chord through me as it brought back memories of those years when I was conscripted in the military.

Our final stop in the morning was a visit to the Folk Culture Village which was about 10 minutes' walk from Lion Mountain. This was a cluster of buildings that showcased the best of traditional Chinese (Fujian) architecture. Lunch was a good serving of Kinmen-style Oyster Vermicelli and some delicious snacks before we headed back to Shanwai for our afternoon programme.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb