Taiwan 09 - Qi Xing Tan 七星潭 & Taroko Gorge 太鲁阁


Advertisement
Taiwan's flag
Asia » Taiwan » Hualien
May 2nd 2009
Published: May 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Next stop, Hualien 花莲!

The day started pretty early as we had to catch 7.30am train to Hualien. In about 3 hrs' time at Hualien station, we were greeted by the taxi driver-cum-tour guide, Mr Zhuang. With Mr Zhuang around, the trip around Hualien's attraction became more interesting and convenient.

After settling our accommodation and getting a coffee fix (needed a perk, man), our Hualien trip commences officially. Mr Zhuang brought us to the Qi Xing Tan 七星潭, which was not the actual Qi Xing Tan 七星潭 many years ago. It used to refer to the lakes in the city. However, these lakes were covered up and no longer what it used to be. The current Qi Xing Tan 七星潭 is a recreational place by the eastern coast.

There was a watermelon festival on the day we went. It was the watermelon season and different farms had gathered to showcase their pride. The large watermelons could well be thrice the size of what I usually buy. Good things need to be shared.. think that's why Mr Zhuang had generously bought each of us a cup of watermelon juice. (so nice of him but I couldn't gulp that down after coffee).

On the way from Qi Xing Tan 七星潭 to Taroko Gorge 太鲁阁, we passed by the "resting place" of locals. Quite a good fengshui place for the departed coz face sea rely on mountain. The tombs could be pretty elaborated and constructed to house several generations. An eye-opener man.

As we moved in on Taroko Gorge 太鲁阁, the sky turned gloomy and it started to drizzle. Mr Zhuang seemed a little disappointed that the forecast of a clear weather did not come true. Fortunately, our trip wasn't dampened as it soon cleared out. On the journey here, Mr Zhuang reported (through our pestering) that a few days ago, chinese tourist were hurt by fallen rocks at Taroko Gorge 太鲁阁. Ho! We gotta watch out (or could the rocks discern...)!

Taroko Gorge 太鲁阁 had pretty spectacular marble canyon. Despite earthquake causing some damages, the place still looked unspoilt. Perhaps, like what Mr Zhuang said "nature can heal itself" and I think mankind could build structures to facilitate continuous accessibility.

The most interesting activity at Taroko Gorge 太鲁阁 was walking th Baiyang Trail which eventually led to Shui Lian Dong where one can enjoy body massage by natural forces. Baiyang Trail consisted of several tunnels which were extremely dark (torch lights will be extremely helpful here). Though the foot path was wide enough for several ppl to walk side-by-side, the edge of cliff seemed close. At the end of Baiyang Trail was the Shui Lian Dong, which was a tunnel with water falling from the "roof". Mr Zhuang had prepared raincoats for us so that we could have fun in it without being drenched. Bare foot to enjoy massage by the rock on the ground. Stand under the falling water to relax the body. What a new refreshing experience!

Mr Zhuang concluded the Taroko Gorge 太鲁阁 trip pretty aptly by making Chang Chun Shrine our last stop. The Shrine was built to commemorate those who lost their lives while building the road there. With such toil, ppl can have access to such a spectacular place. I tot Chiang Ching Kuo (if i din rmb wrongly) was pretty thoughtful that he built such a place to commemorate those who sacrificed and, bless their descendants with the good fengshui position.




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

not so impressive waterfallnot so impressive waterfall
not so impressive waterfall

(perhaps that's not supposed to be the focus)


8th February 2010

taxi driver-cum-tour guide Taroko gorge
We are planning to go to Taroko gorge and thought taxi driver-cum-tour guide is a very good idea. In your review you mention about the good service provided by Mr Zhuang. Do you mind to share his details with us if you have it. Would it be safe to just engage a taxi cum guide from the Hua lien station? Do you have any recommendation? Many thanks for your help in advance.
9th February 2010

do email me if you would like Mr Zhuang's details. My friend heard that Mr Zhuang was a pretty good guide, so we booked him. By the way, he speaks Mandarin during the tour. There are plenty of taxi drivers (at Hualien train) whom you can hire as well.
7th March 2011

Hi, could I get the details of the taxi driver, Mr Zhuang, from you? I'm planning a trip to taroko gorge and Mr Zhuang sounds like a great driver! Thanks!
11th May 2011

i'll like the taxi driver's contact too..thanks loads!
19th December 2011

Taxi driver
Can you send me contact details for the taxi driver from hualien through Taroka we have 7 people and want a van English is not imperative as we have some mandarin thanks

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb