Tsunami Relief Work


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka
October 18th 2005
Published: November 7th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Just in case . . . . Just in case . . . . Just in case . . . .

"In case of Tsunami go to high ground or inland", another sign says "In case of Tsunami, run this way ->" (pointing away from the sea).
We arrived in Sri Lanka 10 months after the Boxing Day Tsunami that claimed 30,000 lives in Sri Lanka alone. Many people are still “missing” and half a million have been displaced. Evidence of the devastation is visible everywhere along the coastline. Many houses are completely or partially destroyed. Remains of fishing boats are strewn up to several kilometers inland and in Hambantota we saw a large ship sitting high and dry about 1 kilometer from the sea. The locals are trying to build a rail-track to get the ship back into the water. North of Hikkaduwa is the sobering scene of the damaged train where over a thousand people lost there lives. Three of the carriages are likely to be left there as a memorial. Immediately after the Tsunami international aid assisted with provision of temporary shelter in the form of tents and wooden shacks. Murray is now involved in managing the process of rebuilding several thousand permanent houses in the Southern Zone alone. And also reconstruction of infrastructure, such as water supplies, waste water systems, health clinics, schools and roads.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Another house damaged by TsunamiAnother house damaged by Tsunami
Another house damaged by Tsunami

There are alot of houses in ruins, that probably won't be restored.
Temporary ShelterTemporary Shelter
Temporary Shelter

These have been built by NGOs while the proper houses are being built.
Temporary ShelterTemporary Shelter
Temporary Shelter

Many people still live in tents, while houses are being built for them
Ship wreckShip wreck
Ship wreck

The locals have built a railway track to try and get it back to the ocean.
Train wreckTrain wreck
Train wreck

This train wreck has become well known, they are thinking of making it a memorial.
Building siteBuilding site
Building site

Marking out the house foundations.
Building siteBuilding site
Building site

Marking out the house foundations.
Building siteBuilding site
Building site

Making blocks on site for the houses.
Building siteBuilding site
Building site

Blocks drying.


7th November 2005

Wow there is still so much to be done! Keep up the hard work, can see you will be put to good use. See you in 8 weeks!
8th November 2005

Thanks for the update
Great to get the report and the photos. Certainly helps us to think of you both and pray for you both.
8th November 2005

Big Boat
That red ship is huge! - scary to think it was carried so far by the water. I hope they can find a locomotive large enough to drag it back to the water.
9th November 2005

WOW
Hmmmm...is it different to what you imagined?!? Whats your home addie there? Keep up the positive work! Thinking of you both xx
14th November 2005

Kia ora
Good to see you guys are settling in. Amazing to think that even this long after the event there is still heaps to do. Keep up the good work making a difference. Kia kaha korua. Ma te Atua korua e manaaki.

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb