Day 7 Train to Ella and on to Udawalawe


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka
August 23rd 2018
Published: August 23rd 2018
Edit Blog Post

Sun and warmth finally arrived in time to wish us farewell to Nuwara Eliya. Tuctuc to the station in plenty of time for 12:45'ish train. Delighted to get 2nd class (unreserved) tickets for the princely sum of 220 rupees for both of us (£1.10) for a 2 1/2 hr journey (Virgin please take note!)

As time for train arrived so did lots more people so platform was full when train arrived a typical Sri Lankan 1/2hr late. Train was packed when it arrived and only a few wanted to get off so think of a Picadilly line train at 6:00 in the evening and double it, add a large suitcase for everyone and you get the idea - complete bedlam!

Mum surprisingly non-plussed about the chaos and dad delighted to be on a train so off for what turned out to be a fascinating journey through time gone by. Started with rain forest, over Victorian bridges, along ridges with steep drops on both sides, tunnels with every child screaming (happy!) and stunning views (and some extremely smart station masters!)

Finally wound our way into Ella after 3 hrs mostly standing and contorting ourselves to let the food trolley (2 men with a large box of samosas and some drinks) barging their way through. Surprising both of us almost enjoyed it and it definitely wasn't as bad as root canal treatment (but went on rather longer)



Met in Ella as planned but "taxi" not quite up to previous standards. However it got us to Udawalawe in one piece (apart from drivers wing mirror!). Fantastic "campsite" our en-suite tent is fabulous, overlooking the river. A quick bite to eat then sleep after a rather exhausting day. Safari tomorrow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb