On All Fours


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Western Province » Negombo
January 13th 2015
Published: January 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 2 Sri Lanka
Having had breakfast with views through the coconut trees and over the beach, we are greeted by our trusty guide Pradreep, and we drove to the Pinnawela elephant orphanage, home to 60 elephants. This has been operating for over 30 years nurturing calves and rehabilitating the injured. We saw about 30 elephants frolicing in the river. The environment at whipsnade seems so much better!

Health & Safety at its best!!! We then travelled to the Central Province, but we encountered road works, well what can you say! The work force both male and female have to wear hard hats, and in some cases 2, some wear high viz, (tracey?) and some don't wear shoes, even though they are using a wacker plate to flatten the ground!! There's no organised traffic control timing, it depends on who he's talking to, whether his arm aches or who had any money. The condition of the roads, well to say bumpy is an understatement!

We drive past Sri Lankas international cricket ground, and have been told the English players stay were we are staying. We arrive at cinnamon lodge, to the overriding smell of cinnamon and I spy the sight of hot flannels, and after travelling 112 km in the dust and heat was a most welcome sight, until it was given to me with tongs that is was stone freezing cold, and smelling of cinnamon, my face must of been a picture, talk about a let down.
We are shown to our room were macaque monkeys were roaming and tend to gather around you. We decided to go for a walk to clear our heads and end up at the end of the lodge drive where it meets the road. There was no lights elephant odour hung in the air, we turned left and Fran was looking behind her for oncoming vehicles and suddenly turned on her ankle and was on all fours. Whoops !!! The local dogs came to sniff the blood. We managed to hobble back to the room and onroute was offered the use of a wheelchair to which Fran politely refused. Okay day over and time to chill.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.249s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb