Sri Lanka Negombo


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Western Province » Negombo
March 7th 2020
Published: March 7th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday 4 March, 2020, cont'd

During our walk this morning we had spotted several laundrys and many restaurants, some of which we might even like to try.

There were a couple of Italian restaurants, next door to each other which caught Pat's eye.

So we headed out at 6.30 pm to find a laundry and then eat. We had it in our minds that the first laundry was a little way along and then the Italian restaurants followed.

We walked and walked and came to the restaurants! Well we had got that all wrong. Next we walked past the cafe and the shop we visited this morning. Both guys were out on the street and we said hello. Finally after walking even further we spotted the laundry which was up a side alley. It was a house, and I rang the doorbell and knocked. No answer.

Back to the road and more walking. We spotted the next one called Rani's laundry, on the road this time. Went in and a lady was there. We confirmed the price, which was LKR 200 (GBP 0.85) per kilo. She weighed the bags, 5.5 kgs and then went through every item. We thought she was checking through the washing, but actually she was counting and made a note of 67 items and it will ready tomorrow evening.

Then back to the Italian restaurants. We walked past St. Sebastian church, which was holding a mass. Speakers were all around and the service could be heard outside. There were lots were in attendance, inside and outside the church.

Pat had chosen Bella Vita, of the two Italian restaurants and we were welcomed in. I had a pizza and Pat had spaghetti with chicken and mushrooms. Pat enjoyed a Peroni beer or two.

Then the walk back to the hotel arriving 8.00 pm. Lights out 10.00 pm.

Thursday 5 March, 2020

Slept well. Awake at 7.00 am. Plan for today, visit to Colombo.

We left the hotel at 9.26 am, headed to the main road and turned right looking for the first bus stop. Some young local men were waiting, so we thought this was a good start. We waited a little while then along came a blue 240 Negombo Colombo bus. We had a seat and the fare to Negombo was LKR 69 (GBP 0.29) each. The bus wasn't busy. At the bus station we took the easy option and got a tuktuk to the One Galle Face Mall, fare LKR300 (GBP 1.28).

Arriving at 11.56 am. Two and a half hours to get here.Through security and down to Delifrance. Pat had a croissant and I had a slice of Quiche Lorraine. An iced coffee and a strawberry milkshake. As nice as ever.

Then off to Pat's current favourite shop Miniso. We bought all sorts of bits and pieces.

Then to the big pharmacy, Healthguard to stock up on various items.

We gradually walked around and up each floor in the Mall. We stopped for a drink at an Italian restaurant called Pastamania. A peach soda and a carafe of coke light.

More walking, Pat spotted a TGI Fridays, so this was our lunch for today. It wasn't up to the usual standard of this restaurant chain, but ok. Pat had her usual Friday burger and I had grilled chicken.

Down to our final stop at Keell's for more supplies. We left the Mall at 3.40 pm and got a Tuktuk to the bus station, fare LKR 300. He was very helpful and tried to point us in the right direction at the bus station for our bus.

We had heard about express buses and that they are air-conditioned. We found it, and it seemed full. However the seating is 2+1 across, but as the bus fills up a middle seat drops across the aisle making it 4 across!

Both Pat and I were on aisle seats. The bus fare, change and tickets passed up and down the bus through the passengers, which I found amusing. The fare for us was LKR 150 (GBP 0.64) each.

The seating arrangement is fine until someone at the back of the bus wants to get off, then everybody moves to any available seat to clear the aisle, if they can! This is how the bus system works and everyone simply cooperates.

We arrived at Negombo bus station, we could get another bus to take us the final stage, but we gave in and jumped in another Tuktuk and off, for the final leg.

As we drove along Pat spotted the laundry, we had thought to get it tomorrow. However, we stopped the Tuktuk and he waited.

The washing was still on the line in the laundry but dry. They took it down and started to fold it. I said I was in a tuktuk and to just put it in the bags. I paid the LKR 1115 (GBP 4.76) for the 5.5 kgs and hurried back to the waiting Tuktuk. This was half the price of what we paid in Ella, and we thought that was good value!

We gave the driver a good tip and we were back at the hotel for 5.30 pm.

Our trip with slow buses from the hotel to Colombo, took two and a half hours. Our trip back with express bus and tuktuk took one and a half hours.

Dropped the bags in the room and straight up to the bar on the rooftop for a beer and a coke.

A quiet night after sorting the laundry and our purchases. Lights out 10.10 pm.

Friday 6 March, 2020

A quieter day planned, with a walk North along the coast road.

A good nights sleep. Stirred at 7.20 am. Left the room at 9.39 am. Headed around the block first. Then onto the main road, ambling and looking at everything as we passed. At 10.00 am we spotted a place called The coffee bean & tea leaf, which looked promising for some breakfast. We ordered a egg muffin and an egg club sandwich, with two large Americanos. The large coffees were very large and the food was scrummy. The sandwich was in ciabatta bread which was very tasty. The bill was LKR 2630 (GBP 11.24).

Next door was a foodcity supermarket and we purchased a couple of things.

Then onwards, the buildings and shops thinned out the further we went, so we went across the road, down an alley and on to the beach. We took off our footwear and went south, heading back. We walked along the waters edge enjoying life.

We had a point of reference for our hotel location, which was a massive construction nearby, which can be seen for quite a distance. As this approached we headed back to the road and put our shoes back on, arriving back to the hotel at 12.10 pm. A beer and a coke were in order. It has been a another warm morning at 32°C feels like 38°C according to the forecast, so a drink was deserved.

A quiet afternoon after our busier days, was on the cards. We left the room at 6.50 pm. Earlier we had made the decision to try the nearby Oasis beach resort restaurant as it advertised fish, steak and lobster. Pat wanted a steak.

We sat out by the beach and there were a few other people. Pat ordered a steak and I had sweet and sour pork and rice. Pat's meal came on a sizzling cast iron platter and both meals were better than expected.

Whilst eating, I noticed a pole with a light on in front of us was sparking, with a bad electrical connection. A cat had been pestering customers for food went near to the pole. I said to Pat that the cat was likely to get a surprise. A few minutes went by and a small crackle and pop was heard, the power went out and the cat shot off. Scared, but ok.

After paying our bill we were back at the hotel in no time at 8.10 pm.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.531s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.2934s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb