Kannan and Sweta's Wedding


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Western Province » Colombo
April 9th 2009
Published: April 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After a very early start we set off for a bumpy return to Colombo - both boys were sick en route so they will take tablets henceforth. We were delighted to find a clean and welcoming hotel in Mount Lavinia. We were all shattered but with only 15 minutes until the wedding (of an old school friend from Stourbridge) just had quick showers and ignored the lure of our beds. We got a 3 wheeler to the truly spectacular Mount Lavinia Hotel only to discover there was no wedding there. Panic was staved off when they were kind enough to let us use the internet there and we retrieved the online invitation and headed off to Mount Lavinia HOUSE. At least the boys were enjoying the Tuk-tuk rides.

Nicky was met by Kannan and Sweta who both looked calm and beautiful and whose presence was a balm that soothed and prepared us for by far the best day of the trip so far. The House was fabulous with an indoor and outdoor swimming pool bisecting the lower floor on one side of which the ceremony occurred while watched from a slightly raised audience on the other side. Kannan, Sweta and their families and hosts were welcoming and we all enjoyed our first try of fresh coconut sipped from straws, a delicious teetotal way to toast the wedding. Typically Jake soon decided he did not really like it. The food was fabulous although only one of us really did it justice, and even Jake found something he loved (OK it was chocolate cake!) Gentle conversation led to fond farewells which took us back to the hotel from where we again resisted the siren call of the beds and headed beachward. We had a lovely stroll along the beach, and had to cope with being denied a swim for the third time this trip as apparently the sea here is not too clean. We did paddle and at one point Jake was swept over by one of many powerful little waves. We returned damp to cool refreshing showers and an hour of writing and reading (oh and DS time for the boys!) We are all desperate for some R&R time and are duly heading down the coast to Unawatuna and Galle.




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



9th April 2009

Looks like you having a really good time. looks and sounds lovely have fun !!!! laura xx
10th April 2009

Thinking about you,
Hope the accommodation turns out Ok in the end. Dad and Anne
10th April 2009

Dont want to worry you sir, but ermm cocunuts are brown.. think that may be an orange your drinking from... :) haha looks like your having a good time anyway!
21st April 2009

Lesson in coconuts
Well Tom, out here they come in Green and Orange too! Keep peddling and good luck in your exams!

Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 75; dbt: 0.0749s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb