Galle


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Southern Province
March 14th 2018
Published: March 15th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Although overcast for some of the day it didn’t rain so we were happy. The driver that Upul had arranged took us to the enchanting town of Galle, about one and a half hours along the dangerous coast road. I would like to have gone by train and I think it would have been safer. Probably because it was a cloudy morning and everything looked shabby and neglected I felt really sad for the people of Southern Sri Lanka who are still trying to put their country in order after the tsunami. Such an enormous task. We stopped at a memorial for the local people that died that terrible day and we saw many derelict houses along the way. The resilience of people never fails to amaze me.
I loved Galle. It is full of old Dutch colonial buildings with its fort with very thick walls, a light house, the old court house and old government buildings. It’s full of interesting shops, galleries and beautiful looking people. We had a coffee in a quirky Dutch cafe and later had ice cream. I dropped mine and had to buy another which was a pain but it was so yummy I didn’t mind?. We climbed the fort walls and walked round some of the old areas.
The drive back was a bit stressful made worse by the fact that it was dark but we got back safe and sound, had diner then an early night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0719s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb