Sri Lanka Mirissa and whale watching


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Southern Province » Weligama
February 16th 2020
Published: February 16th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Saturday 15 February, 2020.

Alarms set for 5.30 am. Slept reasonably, but of course because we had an alarm set, we were awake before the alarm went off.

We got up at 5.25 am, most of our stuff was prepared and left the room at 5.55 am. We went to find our Tuktuk. There was one out there but it wasn't ours. The old boy got another one out and took us to the fishing harbour. Sounds good but it is actually the wrong place. After a short discussion, we paid him what he asked LKR 200, which is a low price and simply walked round to our boat, in the other part of the harbour.

We were with Mirissa whale warriors and the guy that we spoke to yesterday was there. We paid our fee, put our names on the passenger manifest and went on board. First we were asked if we would like tea or coffee. We both went for coffee. The main seating is on the open upper deck, which gives a better view.

A whale / marine expert gave us some information about what we might see, after everyone was on. Coffees arrived and not bad.

We left the harbour and off we sailed. All the passengers were made to wear life jackets. A small breakfast was served. It didn't seem that we were too far out when there were a huddle of boats together. We joined the fleet and not long after a blue whale surfaced. They come up for air every 7 to 10 minutes, take a few breaths and dive again. So they are only visible for short time and of course you don't know where they will surface.

So, a whale surfaces, someone spots it, all the boats race to it's location. It dives and everybody starts looking again and on it goes. Our helmsman was pretty good and we were very close in on the action. The encounters went on for a couple of hours. We also saw a turtle , some whale sharks, lots of jellyfish, and at least one tuna jumped out of the water.

The local fishing boats which are all over, help the tourist boats, by being additional spotters for the whales.

The trip was very successful, there were about thirty people on board. The crew were very attentive and wanted to make sure everyone saw a whale. The boat did bounce a fair bit and at least three people were badly seasick.

We returned to the harbour at 10.00 am. and off the boat with no problem.

Next stop was our laundry, just along the road and it was ready to collect when we got there. It was paid for yesterday, so we were in and off.

Up to the main road and oddly no tuktuk's were pestering us, when we wanted one. At which point we spotted a taxi sign, for journeys to various places, which got us thinking about our next transfer to Tissimaharama on Monday. A chance to ask and we took the side street, a man appeared and took us to the office. We went into the courtyard and began discussions. Pat spotted a tea towel from the Suffolk coast! It had been given to them apparently.

We agreed on the rate and details and made arrangements to be picked up from the rooms at 11.00 am Monday. The young girl spoke excellent English and they were a pleasure to deal with. Another job done.

Back to the main street and there was a tuktuk outside foodcity and he took us to Petti Petti. Please note I got the name wrong yesterday.

This had been the next part of the plan for today. Pat had enjoyed the place, so she wanted to return and spend some time relaxing.

It was 10.40 am when we arrived and the breakfast finished at 11.00 am. We ordered drinks and a breakfast for me. Sat in the sunshine and enjoyed life. Breakfast came which Pat shared a little of it. We swam in the pool and the sea. Later, Pat had a spaghetti in pink sauce for lunch and I had a beef scotch broth soup. We had beers, diet cokes and waters along the way. Our final bill was LKR 6875 (GBP 29.00).

We departed at 2.00 pm and got a tuktuk outside back to the rooms. Back at 2.30 pm. A wonderful morning whale watching.

We had been out since 6.00 am and had a full day, so a quiet afternoon was in order. Just as we were planning for lights out, people were in the next room. There was all sorts of noise and downstairs started up with music, which was actually to my taste, but loud. We did lights out at 9.40 pm. Fortunately, they settled down after a short while and it all went quiet.

Sunday 16 February,2020

Slept through. Stirred at 7.20 am. Down for breakfast at 8.00 am, we were asked what we wanted, then no sign of breakfast by 8.45 am, so we walked away.

Plan for today, visit Weligama, the next town along.

After showering we left the room at 9.40 am. We walked down to the main road and didn't have to wait long for a bus. Bus fare was LKR 40 (GBP 0.17) for both. We got off at the bus station and the place was buzzing. We were under the impression that Weligama was a nothing place, however it turned out to have more going for it than Mirissa.

We walked around looking at the shops, which were for the locals mainly and not overly tourist orientated. Then headed to the coast looking for cafe / bar type places. After walking for a while we found a cafe called Grub & Bass and had two coffees. They took an eternity to make! It's full of surfing dude types in this area.

Back out on the road at 11.15 am and we strolled on the beach. Just ambling along the sandy beach and watching the world.

On the maps Pat had seen larger hotels on the easterly edge of the coast so off we went. We went past the very big Marriott and found a boutique place called Elephant stables. We went in, food and drinks were available, but no alcohol. A lovely place, and we ordered some lunch. Pat had the spaghetti carbonara and I had the red Thai chicken curry, medium hot. Again things took a while, but we were in no hurry. The food arrived and was all good. We paid the bill LKR 4620 (GBP 19.50) including 10% service, which a lot of places charge.

We had finished with Weligama, so headed across the road to the nearest bus stop and as always a bus came along very quickly.

Bus fare to Mirissa was LKR 50 (GBP 0.21) for both. We popped into Maleena for a beer and a coke. Across the road to the souvenir shop to buy Pat a hat and then along to foodcity, for some bits and pieces.

Then a tuktuk back to the room arrived 3.00pm.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb