South Coaster


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Southern Province » Unawatuna
February 26th 2015
Published: February 26th 2015
Edit Blog Post

So for a change, actually pre booked accomodation, turned out to be quite lucky as loads of the places were full! Spent 3 nights in Mirissa, not doing much, swimming in the much calmer sea, snorkelling, eating bbq fish on the beach and enjoying a cold one at the end of a 'hard day'.



Took a day trip whale watching, picked up at 6 am and taken to the office next to the port. Paid 6000lkr which was alot dearer than some of the other options but was supposed to be more green (Raja and the whales). Nice fruit and omelette snack for breaky and nothing very eventful happened for the next 4 hours. Few people being sick and the odd flying fish. Soon losing any optimism. Boat turned around to head back west and could soon make out some whale watching boats clustered on the horizon. At this point on 17 flying fish, pretty bored. Joined the other boats and hovered in the back ground hoping for a whale to break our way. All the other boats chasing the whale and criss-crossing its path to get a closer look. Normal surface time is 2-6 mins, not much hope of seeing that me thinks.



Some of the other boats peeled off the chase to head home, and eventually left us and just one other boat. Finally got some really good views of a blue whale! Massive! Followed it for a few surfaces and then also headed back. Cool experience although bit rubbish that most companies just gun it after the whales! Also hard not to wish you were one of the people with a better view, but people should be just as happy with less. Maybe one day.



Were going to head to Sinharaja national park, but decided to go to Unawatuna instead. 8hrs on the boat was enough action for one day! Very quick bus ride, 25 mins later back packs on, wandering around trying to find a room. Huge sand moving project was getting underway, so had a bit of a detour but found our way to Peacock hotel. Luckily had a nice room out the back, no balcony furniture, but made use of the other peoples.



Nelly decided to do her open water diving course, good excuse for me to get a few more dives in!
Kingfisher eating a lizardKingfisher eating a lizardKingfisher eating a lizard

.... Not satified with fish?!
Decided to stay here until the end, nice relaxing place and lots of good places to eat. Going a bit more luxury/western for the last few days! Great fish and chips last night! Proper english style! Very nice snorkelling in the bay as well, saw a turtle on two occasions, and actually some coral for a change! But will have to see when they pump all the sand into the bay, fingers crossed some will survive.



Couple of nights planned in Mt Lavinia again on the way to the airport, spot of shopping and enjoying a few final sunsets over the Indian ocean! Back to reality until next time :D get planning!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Rice And CurryRice And Curry
Rice And Curry

Amarasinghe's hotel
Mirissa harbourMirissa harbour
Mirissa harbour

... Local fishing boats
Safety firstSafety first
Safety first

Whale watching...
Blue Whale TailBlue Whale Tail
Blue Whale Tail

Curteousy of the on board photographer : )
Digger watchDigger watch
Digger watch

... View towards the dive shop
Enjoying a tankardEnjoying a tankard
Enjoying a tankard

.... Rum, lime, ginger beer and a beer top!
Galle fortGalle fort
Galle fort

Baking in the afternoon sun


Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1138s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb