The cooking class


Advertisement
Asia » Sri Lanka » Southern Province » Unawatuna
December 29th 2013
Published: December 31st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Since I've been in Sri Lanka I've been blown away by how amazing and delicious the food is. It's fresh, tasty and with huge variety. The best thing is the basic "rice and curry", however that is massively underselling what's on offer. Rice and curry means rice (obviously), a curry, be it fish, chicken or very occasionally beef, then usually there are at least three different veget... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




31st December 2013

curry
wow looks and sounds great Iobviously had a real bad brue in Kandy all those years ago Curry is one of my favouite foods Looks like a good winter trip to sample proper stuff Glad to hear your health is on the improve
31st December 2013

The food is really good, you definitely were unlucky in Kandy 50 years ago! Yes thanks, am on the mend, but back to the hospital today for the blood test. Another couple of days bed rest and the drugs should fix it.
31st December 2013

Salivating!
OMG--what a delicious blog! You were so wise to take a cooking class, so you can keep this up back home. While I love South America, the food in Asia has this continent beat by a mile (so many veggies!). I can hardly wait to visit and eat!
31st December 2013

I must admit I was very fond of the steak in Argentina / Uruguay, but it's great to have so many veggies on offer. The food is really sensation, so it's worth a visit for the food alone! I am looking forward to trying it home.
31st December 2013

Loved This
Thank you for taking the time to write so much detail in this blog. Cooking classes are more than about food, they are a great way to learn about people and daily life. I really enjoyed reading this and seeing the pictures. Good luck getting the spices back to Australia.
31st December 2013

I'm glad you enjoyed it, I absolutely loved my class. I really hope I can get the spices into Australia, they're very strict! I know I will never make my own coconut cream or coconut milk again though... I'm looking forward to trying this at home. I think Sri Lanka is a chef's dream!
1st January 2014

Buffalo curd
Yeah! My favourite dish of all my travels. Cures all sorts of travellers' ills. I first discovered it in Nepal and then again in Sri Lanka. Sylvia wanted to take home the clay pots it comes in but I was able to dissuade her in favour of a sari (which she wore to a bollywood night a couple of weeks ago). There is an Australian version from north Qld but it is really hard to find. Happy new year. Glad you are having fun.
1st January 2014

I will be on the lookout for the Australian version too...happy new year to you both!
1st January 2014

All my fave food!
What a fabulous food blog! Some of the recipes sound very similar to the way my parents cook. You can get Sri Lankan treacle (kithul panni) in the SL shops in Melbs, so I'm sure you would be able to find it in Sydney too. Hope you enjoy cooking all this back home! :)
1st January 2014

I am very excited to hear about treacle being available in Australia! If I can find buffalo curds and authentic treacle I will be very happy!! I haven't been able to find "love cake" anywhere here though, so maybe I am calling it the wrong thing. But two days left!

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb