One week in Sri Lanka


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Southern Province » Kosgoda
March 16th 2010
Published: March 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

So we have been in Sri Lanka, Kosgoda, for over a week now -- and you could say we are getting used to it. But that can't include the heat.
When we left the airport in Colombo last Sunday it hit us like a brick wall...
But, nevermind, we're used to it now. And loving every second. To be honest, if the heat is the biggest issue... i think we're pretty set.

We are staying in a homestay in Kosgoda, nr. Bentota, on the South-west coast of the Island. Its a relatively deserted, rural area... meaning that the enormous gorgeous beach is pretty much to ourselves... plus a couple of random beach locals... who always seem to think we care that they don't have a wife, and that they like England.

We were brought to the beach in the dark one evening to watch a giant turtle lay its eggs in the sand. That was rather special. It was about 4ft. long and absolutely huge. Bless the poor creature though, it gave birth to about 150 eggs.
We have also seen those eggs hatching and the turtles being released into the sea. The charity collects the eggs so that poachers don't take them, and releases the new-borns. Absolutely adorable.

We teach the children English during the afternoons, and spend most mornings helping the local ladies weave. This means that we've helped weaving reeds for bags. In fact, you might even consider it a talent now...
We hate Wednesdays! Those mornings we have to scrub turtle-crap-ridden tanks clean. With lovely lumps of tuna in the ones that have just been fed. And blood, everywhere. It is particularly nice when we are given fish for dinner, and we get a tremendous flash back. The smell of the trousers that Sophie wore cleaning also helped us remember it fondly... Yeh, they needed a clean.

Turtle-crap removal aside, we get weekends off... which is ultimately Friday through Sunday.
So last weekend we thought we'd explore the Island a little bit. We don't have much time here, which is a shame cause its gorgeous, so we spent last week deciding where we thought we'd spend our precious weekends. So we decided to visit the famous town of Kandy, inland. The 7 hour journey cost us about a quid, which was a bargain to be honest. The trip on the train was amazing, it traveled through the jungle into the hill country... past waterfalls and amazing views. Though it was a bit clammy.
Though, to be fair, we are clammy most of the time. It is so humid.

In Kandy we took a tuk-tuk around the area. We visited a tea plantation and factory, an elephant orphanage charity, the Temple of the Tooth, the spice garden, and saw 'Kandy dancing'. We both agreed that our favourite time at the weekend was at the orphanage, where we got an elephant shower and a ride and we fed them. Will put photos up on here and on facebook soon-- we have some classic shots!

That night we had planned a bit of a challenge for ourselves... though, we have to admit, it didn't exactly go according to plan...
Basically, we had intended to climb a mountain - Adams Peak - which, you should note, is higher than Ben Nevis... considerably! It is a sort-of pilgrimage for Buddhism, so there are steps the whole way. Uneven, huge, leg-aching steps. We regretted it relatively instantly. But persevered, and after 3 and a half hours we reached the top where the queue to the temple started. Stupidly we had planned it during a Sri Lankan festival. So yes, we were the only non-locals, and yes, it was packed. It was absolutely knackering and our legs were shaking on the way down. It was worth it though, the view is just amazing.
So sweaty, disgustingly grubby, and deliriously tired, we came back to Kosgoda in a rip-off taxi...
Since then every step aches.

This week has gone similar to last. We spend a lot of time on the beach. To be honest, its hard to resist. Yesterday, we did our first batch of many, of washing. With a bar of laundry soap. It took a rather long time, and - not going to lie - we miss the washing machine.

Apart from that, this weekend we are going snorkeling in Hikkaduwa - a beach further down South (hopefully more sheltered than the mental sea here). And on Monday we'll be in Bangkok.

Will update this again soon. Love to all.
J & S.
x




Advertisement



Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.079s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb