WHERE THE ELEPHANTS COME TO BATHE..


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Sabaragamuwa Province » Pinnawala
May 22nd 2010
Published: June 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Met Nishal at the KLCC by accident, I arrived at 8:35pm went thru customs around 9:30pm and bummed around for couple hours at the departure lounge, wasn't the only one, Filipinos, Vietnamese, attractive Thai girls and all sorts of people hanging out waiting their flight check in. We got booted out of the Air Asia terminal because they are flogging it, meaning spraying to kill roaches and sorts. I saw Nish walking towards me as I walk out towards the doors and we ended up hanging out together outside in the grassy area chilling until it's check in time. It's a bit of a circus atmosphere for awhile, we checked in and then have to wait for awhile till the immigration office opens up. We had quick breakfast at Dunkin Donuts, my sandwich was expired so they have to give me a new one.

Flight was smooth, we all fell asleep right away on the plane we arrived 4 hours later to rainy Colombo,Nish's uncle picked us up at the airport, we were driven to an ATM machine to get money and we proceeded to their grandparent's house for brunch, eggs and sausages, milk rice and sambal type spices. Really kicked up a notch!Hung out with Nish's relatives for a bit, rains on and off, they had a big cyclone hit 2 days before and the aftermath is flooding all over as we saw while landing at the airport. And it was an adventure to get from the airport to Wadduwa where their grandparents live, took a good hour or so because of traffic, flooded streets everywhere, some look like a gushing river. His granpa walked with me to have a look at their lush gardens of fruits and ornamental plants then we saw kids playing in the canal catching small fish with a bed sheet sown up at the end.

Late lunch is at their aunt's house and another delicious treat, loving Sri Lankan food so far, on the way there we saw a huge elephant in Panadura walking in the street it dwarfed our van! We tried to buy a white shirt for visiting temples, apparently they double the price for foreigners so Nish have to do it for me, he shopped for the both of us.
Then that night we checked in at a hotel near the beach paid for by his relatives! We had a
ColomboColomboColombo

Sri Lankan dishes
few drinks of Carlsberg but rather stale beer then followed by the 8% alcohol Strong beer. We slept like a baby, me and Nish sharing a room while Sachil had his own,it rained that night too.

Nish set the alarm so we woke up at 4:30am we woke up Sachil and we got ready, we waited for the driver Mr T I call him cause I cannot pronounce his name, he arrived past 5am but he picked up our packed lunch at Nish's auntie's house. So off we go, rain was on and off again I fell asleep, Sachil didn't as he was seated in front and Mr. T's driving is hell crazy he could not close his eyes to rest! We stopped at a small lake/pond where there is a big crocodile apparently, we did not see it. next stop is for breakfast we have our own packed breakfast of milk rice and sambal sauce, amazing! Rain is not abating, a bit discouraging but it stopped as we near Pinnawala where the elephant sanctuary is, Mr. T drove like a mad man, we just closed our eyes and glad we made it safe. Here in Sri Lanka there is a huge difference for entrance fees to attractions, at the elephant place 100 rupees for locals(barely a $1!) and 2,000 rupees($20) for gringos! absurd but what can you do, of course Nish and Sach blend in so they pay as the locals do.

The first thing we saw is this feeding place sheltered by a roof and young elephants are chained from their feet, not a good start and I did not really get to ask why they do that. If you want to feed them additional fee so I begged off. We walked towards a big field where most of the elephants where and here they are treated well, they are roaming free some in chains but those were the worker elephants I was told, there is a huge elephant on his own, chained in one corner apparently he is 70 years old, beautiful animal! We took time taking fotos, more and more tourists came then we headed to the river to see them bathe. Hordes of them came down the narrow streets like running of the bulls you have to stay out of the way or they'll stomp you and they probably won't realized what they stepped on!

Each and everyone of these beautiful creatures have their own character, some are very playful, some are just contented having a bath, others explore and cross the river to the other side to graze. We hang out for a good hour there then it's time to go,on the way back to the van we saw this man sat on the side walk, a snake charmer of sorts, he had a python wrapped around his neck and a huge cobra in a basket, he performed for us and we gave him a few change. The cobra was scary for me i thought it came loose, but he just grabs him by the tail, the python is also trying to get away but who can blame them really. We then drove up to this Royal Botanical Garden in Peradeniya, nice huge garden good for walks,a lot of young couples necking and making out behind the bushes! the rains came again well more of a spitting kind as we walk. We saw a huge scorpion and a bat hanging on a small tree, but the gardeners of the park showed us these creatures for a fee, I did not have
Pinnawala Elephant orphanagePinnawala Elephant orphanagePinnawala Elephant orphanage

volunteers cleaning up the poop
a small change so I just moved on, Sochil gave them some money.

Finally we made it to busy Kandy, looks like a nice place but much traffic, we arrived at our hotel, Devon hotel with a pool, nice room, $70! but we split between the 3 of us anyway. We had lunch in our room, the packed lunch prepared by their aunt is superb, hits the spot! We then got ready for the cultural show, it's a tourist trap but we got a free ticket entry for pretending to be buying gems! Mr T took us to this famous jewellery shop, Sri Lanka is famous for it's gems but we boys have no keen interest in those but Mr T say just play along, ask some questions, pretend to be interested in buying so he can score from them free cultural show tickets!and we did! The show was surprisingly good, dancers were very athletic, the men especially, nice costumes and towards the end they have a walking on fire thing, cool. Up next to a shop to buy booze and snacks then to the hotel where we went to the pool while waiting for the included dinner to be served. We asked to have dinner at Mr. T's room cause they have a fridge we put the beers there, the tourist drivers and guides get a free stay in the hotel, they have their own room too. Dinner was ok and we polished off the arrack that Mr.T bought supposedly for the bellboys but we ended up drinking it along with the beers. Sachil and I went to bed, Nish stayed a bit longer, I passed out completely did not even hear Nish come in I woke up cause it was cold and I have no warm blanket. Woke up to a gorgeous day.

Sachil and I had breakfast then Nish woke up we got ready and left around 10:30am, we went to the Sacred Tempe of the tooth relic, you have to wear white and barefoot as you walk the grounds, lots of monkeys along the path, the shrine is next to the artificial lake with heaps of fish. I have to queue up an buy tourist ticket for 1,000 rupees($10), we have to go through security booths where they cup you to make sure you have no weapons and such, the place was amazing, thought I did not see the tooth I love it! Lots of pilgrims, praying silently and intently, the grounds is huge lots of different temples etc. It poured out rain when we got there, it was very sunny when we left the hotel 30 minutes ago. We walked barefoot in the mud and pools of water, there is even an elephant where people take fotos with and kiss it for goodluck I guess. We went back to town to have lunch at KFC, food was crap! We also visited this shrine atop the city called Sri Maha Bodhi Maha Viharaya, there is a huge Buddha statue and a good view of the city from there. Then it's time to move on.


Additional photos below
Photos: 65, Displayed: 28


Advertisement

KandyKandy
Kandy

Devon hotel room
ColomboColombo
Colombo

flooded streets when we arrived from airport


4th June 2010

Congratulate you
Good information thanks for sharing, I love rice pudding, but I love animals very much, I love and make good what with the elephants and watched a video of a birth to her baby elefate but had difficulties and it is amazing what made to react to the baby and I was happy when this finally awoke, it was nice, very good pictures I love Africa.

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb