Annual August Hindu Festival at Nallur Kandaswamy Temple


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Northern Province » Jaffna
September 24th 2013
Published: September 26th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Nallur Murugan Temple from afar Nallur Murugan Temple from afar Nallur Murugan Temple from afar

The temple can be seen from quite a distance, but during festival time, the roads to it are blocked off. See the police up ahead?
Annual August Hindu Festival at Nallur Kandaswamy Temple:

This Hindu temple is one of the oldest (several centuries) and most revered in Sri Lanka. Every August there is a 25-day Festival and people travel from around Sri Lanka and many come from overseas to attend. At our small hotel we met folks from India, Canada and Australia who had come especially for it.

We were happy that our travels got us to Jaffna during the festival time and our hotel was a short walk from it.

We went over to it several times and always dutifully removed our shoes at the barricades so we could be allowed within its proximity. Had we wanted to enter the temple itself, Phil would have had to remove his shirt, too, and the glare from that mass of white skin might have been truly astounding.

During our Catholic upbringings, the idea of going shirtless and barefoot into a church would have been truly shocking and disgraceful. I couldn't even enter one without covering my head with a hat or veil, and my sisters and I each had one dress which was our Sunday best and worn only then.

It is
Nallur Temple from the sideNallur Temple from the sideNallur Temple from the side

Once you get nearer the temple, there's a "shoe block". You can only enter the immediate surrounds if you're barefoot. There are shelves set up for you to put your shoes on, and a small payment is expected.
very intriguing to see how other cultures approach the spiritual.

As an enthusiastic May Procession participant, I couldn't wait to be old enough to wear one of those satin gowns like my older sister Susan had being "Queen of the Sea" and lead a class of younger Sunday School kids on a procession around our church. So processions I can understand, and incense, and fine clothes.

The statuary and colorfulness I can understand and appreciate.

But I must admit that the mortifications of hanging by meathooks through my skin is a real challenge to my ideas of approaching a god. I've only ventured in fasting, and haven't been too good at that.

One of the benefits of travel is seeing new things, and the procession on the last day of the festival was definitely new to me.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Nallur Temple side--closer viewNallur Temple side--closer view
Nallur Temple side--closer view

The temple is surrounded by sand, so walking barefoot is easy. Even tender-footed Phil managed, though he was very reluctant to venture forth at first.
Festival atmosphereFestival atmosphere
Festival atmosphere

On the streets all around the temple there's a festival atmosphere, with lots of stalls selling food, clothing, trinkets, and ice cream.
Nallur Temple Main EntranceNallur Temple Main Entrance
Nallur Temple Main Entrance

It's a truly massive complex. The red and white striped walls made me think at first they were canvas, like a circus tent, but they're fully structural and fulltime.
Different Temple over-the-walls view Different Temple over-the-walls view
Different Temple over-the-walls view

In fact, the red and white walls appear regularly, as you can see from this temple 200km south of Jaffna.
Gods Parading OutGods Parading Out
Gods Parading Out

Every night at 6pm the god statues, carefully sheltered by large umbrellas, are paraded out and around the "mountain" in a clockwise direction.
Gods Ascend the MountainGods Ascend the Mountain
Gods Ascend the Mountain

The three figures are carefully carried up the "mountain" and seated in the chariot. I presume the biggest one represents the God Murugan, God of War and Victory.
Up the Final Step Up the Final Step
Up the Final Step

And one last effort to seat them securely for the big procession.
The Chariot Lights Up The Chariot Lights Up
The Chariot Lights Up

Dah dah! The procession will now begin.
Acknowledgement by DevoteesAcknowledgement by Devotees
Acknowledgement by Devotees

The crowd is pleased and signals back their devotion.
Time for IncenseTime for Incense
Time for Incense

Incense leads the way.
Murugan Chariot moves slowly forwardMurugan Chariot moves slowly forward
Murugan Chariot moves slowly forward

Men must be barefoot and shirtless to be involved in pulling or accompanying the chariot.
Beautiful PeopleBeautiful People
Beautiful People

Everyone is in their best clothes in tribute to the celebration of Murugan.
Sari Finery and time to chatSari Finery and time to chat
Sari Finery and time to chat

The crowd was very interactive, people meeting up and talking.
Hanging DevoteeHanging Devotee
Hanging Devotee

On the final morning of the 25 day festival, many devotees travel to the Temple from all directions, hanging by big meat hooks in their skin!
Hanging DevoteeHanging Devotee
Hanging Devotee

The man on top of the "chariot" keeps pulling on ropes attached to the hanging man, making him bob up and down as if he's flying. One wonders if this increases the pain.
Hanging DevoteeHanging Devotee
Hanging Devotee

As you can see, some people watch the procession and for others it's business as usual, time to get to work.
Hanging Devotee 2Hanging Devotee 2
Hanging Devotee 2

This man is hanging upright and also bobbing up and down.
Dancing Devotees Dancing Devotees
Dancing Devotees

These men carried decorated arches. Some had barbs in their backs and others pulled on ropes attached to those hooks as they danced onward toward the temple--several km away. The little boys didn't have hooks in their skin.
Hanging Devotee 3 Hanging Devotee 3
Hanging Devotee 3

This man also had something stuck through his face and he had a long way to go to get to the temple.


26th September 2013

I have to admit it all looks rather silly to me. What is the point of it? M :(
27th September 2013

we can not forget the memories.
the festivals of the Nallur temple is wonderfull for everyone. thanks for the photos to re-gain our memories.
27th September 2013

I am reading ur travel diary. Ur trip is my refreencce. THX!!
30th September 2013

Just hangin' out
My, I am impressed at the commitment displayed by the hanging devotees! One wonders how frequently they can display their devotion - there must be some damage done to them which requires a recovery period.

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0957s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb