Sri Lanka - Another Side


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Eastern Province » Batticaloa
January 15th 2014
Published: January 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


I have Traveled to many parts of Sri Lanka over and over again. Before the war was over, then after. Last December holidays, i thought, i was going to do something unique which most Sri Lankans would not do. That is to travel on MY own in Sri Lanka (on a holiday to discover new places) for a couple of days, no itinerary, no prior hotel bookings and only rest houses. If push came to shove and i had no accommodation for the night, then i was going to shack up in the back of my car for the nights shelter. So i was going to go with the flow. But i had to make sure i had all my gear with me so that there was nothing lacking. Especially, my lap top with dongle, my Iphone, the respective chargers, torch, pen knife, water, camera, pillow and blanky. Destination ? East Coast Baby! I was thinking that i should try and discover 'Another Side of Sri Lanka'. What better place to start than the East Coast where most things were still in it's primitive stage even though almost 5 years had pass since the end of the war. Before i could even start on the trip, i was already dreaming of the Shrimp/Prawns i was going to consume.

I was out on the road by Myself for 8 days. Almost 2,000 Km, 01 fine/ticket for crossing the white line in the middle, many cups of tea, lot's of getting in and out of the car for pictures, plain rice and curry in the village roadside boutiques which is quite unlike the commercial road side shops in the busier towns. Covered Batticaloa, Passikuda, Kalkuda, Vakarai, Trinco, Kuchchuveli ...etc. What a drive it was. Once of the BEST drives along the coast of Sri Lanka. From Nilaveli up North towards Mullaitivu. I hardly passed more than 10- vehicles for at least 01 hour. It is so isolated and deserted. In a good way.

Batticaloa - I researched the internet for accommodation and physically checked out each one to see which one was closest to the Sea /Lagoon with a nice atmosphere, Clean and value for money. Within an hour i found the place. I was watching the fisherman catching fresh Wild Shrimp/Prawns 5 feet from my room. I had it battered fried and stuffed Myself silly. I ate it 3 times a day for 3 days. To be continued ...


Additional photos below
Photos: 112, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

DSC_1947.1DSC_1947.1
DSC_1947.1

i love this picture. It was evening and the sun was setting and everyone was going across the causeway in one of the Baticaloa lagoons near the town. This was a fresh catch from tight behind the fisherman. Lovely Batti!


17th January 2014
DSC_1882.1

Batticaloa Prawns.
You can catch them a few feet from the shore and cannot be any fresher. They are so tasty.

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb