Sri Pada - Adam's Peak


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Central Province
February 11th 2010
Published: February 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We headed to Dalhousie to climb Adam's Peak. It poured with rain for most of the afternoon but luckily it stopped in the early evening. We were joined by Wolfgang and other people from Germany, Switzerland, Turkey and Poland. It makes us feel inadequate by not being able to speak any other languages, especially when talking with the Europeans at our guest house who could speak at least 3!

Up at 2.30am for the walk up to Adam's Peak. This has been a pilgrimage sight in Sri Lanka for over 1000 years. It is a 7km walk with a steep path that turns into steps, at least 5200 of them. The path was completely illuminated, and is lined with tea shops all the way to the top. We stopped a couple of times for some sickly sweet Sri Lankan tea! The sunrise at the top was gorgeous but unfortunately the conditions were not quite right to see the perfect shadow cast onto the misty clouds. Drums were played until the sun rose and people left offerings to the mountain as they went up and at the top. We could see the hill country to the east and the land sloping to the coast to the west. Unfortunately it was not clear enough to see Colombo. Needless to say, coming down the mountain was hard on the knees! We returned to the guesthouse for a huge breakfast of fresh fruit, toast, pancakes with toasted coconut, toasted sandwiches and bananas. After a shower we then all jumped on the bus to Hatton and caught the train to our next destination, Kandy.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



24th February 2010

WOW
You are seeing some awesome sights, really envious!!! LOL Great photos too, love the scenery. Why is Matt sitting like a devo in the corner of the tea photo??!! :) LOL Looks like e has been up to tricks!!

Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 23; qc: 100; dbt: 0.0812s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb