Sigiriya Rock Fortress


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Central Province » Sigiriya
April 27th 2012
Published: June 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

There aren't enough superlatives to describe Sigiriya. So let's not try to repeat what every guide book has said at one time or another.

It is a "must see" sight ... Because it a good hike up, has some breathtaking views from the top, has some interesting history, and new things are still being found out about Sigiriya. For example, the "Cobra Hood" entrance and cave was a recent "discovery" by some visiting archaeologists. People had walked by that "entrance" for eons, but didn't know it's significance till recently.

The remaining frescoes that are thought to have adorned the inside and outside of the rock are in fairly good condition, and people are respecting the "no flash" and "no touching" rules. Same for the "mirror wall" where you can read 1500 year old graffiti.

We climbed up just before sunset, and it only took about 30 minutes to get to the top. We came down very slowly to explore each level in detail.

Warning to any future visitors. Don't wear short skirts ... and if you do, take a sarong with you to cover up when the strong winds hit. Unless you like the attention from hundreds of hooting school boys.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1087s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb