Kandy to Nuwara Eliya


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Central Province » Nuwara Eliya
September 9th 2017
Published: September 11th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Woke to rainy, misty morning but excitement was palpable as today we are off on a train to Nurawa Eliya. This train journey is the first half of the trip to Ela which is claimed to be one of the top ten rail experiences in the world.

So breakfast, this time with more brownie which the lady who runs guesthouse is a recipe from the Edmonds cook book. Another New Zealand guest gave her a copy a few years ago!

Off to rail station in two tuk tuks. Station bustling and noticeably more tourists. The train was quite late but no one seemed at all concerned, it is just part of the experience. Once on board confusion abounds regarding seating, a family in our seats who we evicted then we swapped with some others to get the four of us sitting together. Once sorted got the food out and sat back to enjoy the experience.

Train went pretty quick to start then slowed to probably 15 - 20kph once we got to the hills. Again the doors were open ( or as I discovered able to be opened with a pocket knife if the guard got officious and locked them) so we could get lots of great photos and views despite the drizzle and a bit of mist.

The train trip took about 4 hours so by the end we were ready to get off and stretch our legs.

Van to the guest house, Ferncliff. This is like a time warp, something directly out of colonial times, complete with very subservient staff, open fires and over stuffed settees. After the obligatory cup of tea, drunk very awkwardly with staff watching our every move, we finally get to rooms.

Dinner at the Grand Indian, part of the Grand Hotel in Nurawa Eliya, which does live up to its name as is truely grand, but more about that tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

StationStation
Station

Every station has a very officious stationmaster all of who are dressed perfectly in uniform complete with cap.


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb