Wanderings in Sri Lanka - 3 - Kandy & Nuwara Eliya


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Central Province » Nuwara Eliya
February 29th 2016
Published: March 2nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

We drove on to the next main tourist area in the Central Province - "the hill country". Kandy, a busy small town, set around a beautiful lake, which was constructed by the British. We visited the Botanical Gardens - full of exotic trees and colourful flowers - a haven of peace amongst the bustle of the surrounding town. Large trees, down by the river, were festooned with vast numbers of hanging fruit bats, a few also seen flying around even in daylight. An early evening visit to the Tooth Relic Buddhist Temple to witness a ritual procession & ceremony was packed with worshippers carrying offerings of lotus flowers & noisy with drummers.

A visit to the Kandy Cultural Show followed - energetic twirling dancers, masks, and even more incessant drumming. The show ending with a dramatic climax of fire eating and walking across flaming hot coals!!

The following day we climbed narrow steep roads into the heart of the "Hill Country" to the former British colonial town of Nuwara Eliya and on to our hotel, an atmospheric converted tea factory, set within vast expanses of tea plantations. We watched in astonishment as the blue sky was replaced by storm clouds and swirling mists!!

A very early start next morning as we set off to the Horton Plains National Park at 05.30! A 9km trek through open countryside and forests to the spectacular view from "World's End", from atop a sheer drop of approximately 900m, gave us some much needed exercise!

Accommodation - Earls Regency Hotel Kandy

- Heritance Tea Factory - Nuwara Eliya

Weather - cooler in the hill country - 20c with sunny mornings and mists and storms in the afternoon


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



2nd March 2016

Kandy
Hi glad. To see. The hard walk, didn't think you could do it ! , !
31st March 2017

Love Nuwara Eliya!
I love Nuwara Eliya! I've stayed at Amaya - Lakeside and it is one beautiful location. The best parts of the hotel were the stunning views and the gardens. They really managed to bring the greenery to life here in the midst of Sri Lankan Hills. If you are looking for a hotel in a great location, which is ever so charming and with a pleasant climate - this is just the place to visit! Super food and cozy bedrooms. A must visit to all those scenery lovers! :)

Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb