Nawara Eliya AKA Little England


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Central Province » Nuwara Eliya
October 3rd 2013
Published: November 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

I think we all woke up with hangovers this morning. I shall speak for myself here but the fact we ended up having Pizza Hut speaks for itself. Firstly, we had a wander around Kandy with a coffee shop stop. Kandy lake was in sight and then we walked towards Buddha hill, where a larger than life Buddha sat. A bit of religious culture and also a beautiful view from the top.

Pizza time. Just what we needed.

Tim sadly was leaving for Negombo so it was back to 3 of us - heading for Nuwara Eliya, also known as 'Little England'. I wanted to find out why.

The bus journey was long and winding, but Hayley and I kept ourselves occupied with conversation and games.

Arriving there in the dark, with no accommodation booked and pretty chilly (like England) we asked a tuk tuk driver to take us to a cheap guesthouse as the one we had in mind was far out and a bit too expensive to get there. This was ok, as he found us a decent enough place close to the centre. I think we all felt a little tired and stressed so we went to sleep (I firstly had a pot of tea, which made me happy).


Waking up feeling a little more refreshed but realising the mountain we wanted to climb was in fact unclimbable, we changed the plan and found out there was a hill a few kilometres away where we could walk and get a nice view.

Nawara Eliya was very green with lots of hills and mountainous areas which I loved, people playing cricket in the field we walked by and quite hot at the time. The walk was fun. Scrambling up through the tea plantations - just what we needed, a mini adventure with exercise. Quite an achievement in itself and Dani still says she 'climbed a mountain'. On the return journey, we stopped by 'The Pub'. Dani noted this on the way to 'the mountain'. It was a quiet hotel with a bar through to the back which seemed as if it hadn't been opened for a while. This for me felt like an old English country pub, I liked it.

Our next stop on route home was a big country house through some large gates. Again, very English. A big entrance hall and dining rooms. We stopped for another beer here and enjoyed chatting to our waiter (as there was no other lodgers here that we noticed).

After munching on some grub in a little eatery, we got directed to a local pub. It had a handful or so of locals swigging on their jars of beer. A bit of a weird atmosphere if I say so. Dani had a jar of local beer but admitted it didn't taste too good, so we upped and left. Back at the guesthouse Dani crashed out not feeling well whilst Hayley and I sat up in bed watching Miranda. Gotta love Miranda!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0687s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb