Sigiriya, Lion Rock and on to Kandy


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Central Province » Kandy
September 7th 2017
Published: September 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Up early and leave at 6.30am to climb Lion Rock.

Marie and Donna decided to stay at the bottom and look at the ruins and gardens there while Chris and I went to the top.

A great walk up, mix of stone stairs, steel stairs hanging off sheer faces, a couple of spiral staircases. On the way up you pass through an area with a rock overhang and the back wall has the remain of a number of ancient paintings. The top was spectacular, 360deg views and because we were so early and made good time up there was only a handful of people there. Even managed to spot the girls down on the flat!

After a quick look around the museum returned to hotel and breakfast and into another van for a ride to Kandy.

On the way stopped at a spice garden which was really interesting. Seeing the various herbs and spices (and other plants used in natural remedies) growing and hearing how they are used. Seems there is a plant or mix of for pretty much everything.

Donna had a facial massage with a mix of spices and herbs, we took before and after photos and she looked ten years younger!!

One interesting thing was a mix of aloe vera, avocado and lotus oil as a sunscreen. Apparently it is close to SPF50. We purchased some of this and also some natural cough medicine.

Then a very slow drive to Kandy. Lovely little guest house and very friendly welcome.

Donna not feeling flash so she took a rain check on dinner.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0331s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb