A Long Way Down


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Central Province » Ella
March 12th 2013
Published: March 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Taking the bus from Tissa further north to Ella was another cramped affair (at least one we were prepared for this time round). The bus navigated its way along the steep, twisting, narrow roads into the hill country where the bus peaked at around 10 miles an hour. Looking down at the steep drops to our right, we have never been so pleased to have 100's of people (okay, i didn't count but it was definitely a lot!) on the bus to slow it down - judging by the red strap marks on our shoulders, we reckon our rucksacks must have accounted for a substantial amount of the buses weight!

Ella itself is a pretty little town in the middle of the hill country with tea plantations surrounding it. Walking up the steep hill to Little Adams Peak (it wasn't so little!) we passed tea pickers from young children to old ladies on the hill. The villages played music that could be heard from near the top of the hill (although we think it could have been gangham style). Looking down the hill there were multi coloured fabrics lined out on the green bushes that lined the villages where the locals were drying their clothes and even an ambitious Tuk Tuk driver who was scaling the hill (they really will take you anywhere!).


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement




12th March 2013

Brilliant!
Great writing Lucy and look forward to reading more as i have just subscribed.Where are we off too next I wonder?Hope your having an amazing time! Lots of love Tracey and Rafi xxxx
12th March 2013

It all looks amazing and really well written. Glad you are both having a great time. I am now tuned in to your blog and I am enthralled. Tea is ready and then Masterchef. How exciting is our life! PS got you briefly with your wet hair

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb