Dambulla and beyond


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Central Province » Dambulla
February 4th 2014
Published: February 4th 2014
Edit Blog Post

On SafariOn SafariOn Safari

Young elephant taking no notice of the onlookers
After Kandy we headed to for Dambulla which is at the heart of the Cultural Triangle. After dusting ourselves down we headed for Minneriya National Park where we went on a safari by jeep through the jungle and by a large lake were the elephants were gathering. Lots to see including crocodiles, wild peacocks, many varies of different birds, monkeys and of course the elephants.

The next morning was to be the ascent of Sigiriya Rock Fortress and is Sri Lanka's Ayres Rock. Lynne decided to opt out of thirds trip and spent a day round the pool. The rock is very impressive but quite a challenge in the heat. On top of the rock there are the remains of a 13th century palace.

On our final morning in Dambulla we visited the very popular cave temples. Quite a climb up to reach them but we'll worth the effort as there was the opportunity to visit five Buddhist temples that occupied caves within the hills. Lots of Buddhas and wall murals that date back to the 17th century.

After the caves it is back to Colombo for our onward trip to the Maldives.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Sigiriya Rock FortressSigiriya Rock Fortress
Sigiriya Rock Fortress

The challenge before me


4th February 2014

Buddhas
I see you have been practising .! We shall all be pagoda and Buddhad out by the time we get home! Looking forward to seeing you in Mynamar. !

Tot: 0.278s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1974s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb